Skip to content

Ask an Expert Back Protector Inserts - Stupid question? Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Back Protector Inserts - Stupid question?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mattbow

Nov 09

mattbow says:

Back Protector Inserts - Stupid question?

Hey all,
I have a Buffalo Endurance jacket and currently have a full forcefield back protector for when i ride. I'm considering getting a forcefield insert as well to put in the jacket for shorter journeys, don't want to be tempted to ride without anything if I find the hassle of the strap on one too much.
Only thing is, I know how stiff the forcefield protectors are and the pocket for them in my jacket seems to have a stupidly small hole at the top to allow the insert to go in. I'm sure I could roll up the piece of foam and get it out but not sure about getting the new one in. Am I missing something really stupid here?

Cheers,
Matt

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 November 2009 17:34)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

I used a Knox insert

to replace the foam in my old Frank Thomas jacket, that was sort of segmented so would roll up a bit and then go through the gap, before opening up again in the pocket. I thought some of the forcefield pads were flexible rubberised stuff, will they roll up?

Reply to this Topic
mattbow

Nov 09

mattbow says:

Flexibility

I'm not entirely sure. The inserts look like they are made of exactly the same stuff as the full back protectors, just smaller and without the straps. Even though they are flexible I'm sure I couldn't roll it anywhere near enough to get the insert in. Guess I'll have to find a stockist and go there with my jacket and see. I'd rather not have to rip/cut the jacket to get the insert in. Maybe I will look at other makes.

Matt

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

If you can't get it rolled up

enough it may be a case of undoing the stitching a bit and fitting velcro to the opening, as long as the outside of the jacket does not have to be altered of course, I presume the pocket is in the liner.  Important thing is it is held in correct position. Hein Gericke also used to do replacements that had tabs on to fix  to existing liners, press stud or sewn I think. Make sure nothing will dig in to you.

You may even be able to leave existing foam in for extra comfort/warmth if there's room.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

smoto

again above, gone anon for some reason! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
jdavies123

Mar 04

jdavies123 says:

dont do it

get a proper back protector. I would recommend the forcefield pro. The foa ones are near enough useless!

Reply to this Topic
jdavies123

Mar 04

jdavies123 says:

dont do it

get a proper back protector. I would recommend the forcefield pro. The foam ones are near enough useless!

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

I thought that was what he was

going to do, I mean put the foam inside of the protector. :smile

Reply to this Topic
mattbow

Nov 09

mattbow says:

Confirmation

Yea, I have a forcefield pro which i will wear for proper rides and going on motorways etc. But I'd also like to get a forcefield insert to go in the jacket if im just going to a lecture, or riding across town and don't want to have that extra thing to lug around when i get there. Theres barely enough room at lectures for a jacket + helmet + gloves, if i had a back protector too it would be mad, so an insert would be 10x easier. I just don't know how on earth I'm supposed to get a thick, stiff, insert that must be about 30cms wide into a 15cm hole in the jacket lining? Thought maybe someone had done it before.

Matt

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the replies, and thanks for the post smoto, looks like opening up the whole and velcroing might be the only option.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle