Skip to content

Discuss This 2010 BMW S1000RR first ride: "It's very, very quick" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2010 BMW S1000RR first ride: "It's very, very quick"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Trevor Franklin  says:

2010 BMW S1000RR first ride: "It's very, very quick"

BMW’s eagerly-awaited new S1000RR superbike is currently being put through its paces at Portimao in Portugal by MCN’s Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin.  Win a BMW S1000RR! First ride: Troy Corser's WSB S1000RR He’s just finished his second session aboard the bike, this is what he has to say: “I’m now riding ewith the power mode switch set to ‘Race Mode’ which is suitable...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 November 2009 14:36)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

BMW bikes. Suzuki build quality. Ducati money. I suppose at least this one won't need a new FD every 6 months. It'll be interesting to see how many BM manage to shift to the fickle sports bike crowd, given that the R1 was top dog last year and is now quite clearly utter pants due to the fact that it is an "old" bike...

Reply to this Topic
shottsj

Apr 04

shottsj says:

Civility...

..costs nothing!!! What is wrong with you lot? We are supposed to be bikers discussing the merits or otherwise of different bikes - not class warriors bad-mouthing the qualities and social attributes of other our fellow bikers using insulting and foul language implied lightly censored or otherwise. Fulfils all the worst - and I like to think incorrect! - stereotypes of the biking world as seen by others. Besides it is hard to see why tempers and high emotions get raised by a BMW anyway. If it's a great new bike and spurs other manufacturers to greater endeavours - then that's good for all of us isn't it? Only trouble with BMs is going to be the price - the engineering always comes at a premium, and even if the lower range models are cheap to start with they end up costing more than the competition once you add on a few of the desirable extras. Polite comments and responses very welcome ta!!!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Ha ha ha bet BMW don't care

This is bloody hilarious, but I bet its the first Beemer that raised these kind of emotions before! BMW must love all the publicity.

Steve Case

Reply to this Topic
LilMoney

Aug 04

LilMoney says:

SHUT UP!

Some of you guys bitch more than women!  Just fuckin ride, who cares what the other guy rides!

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

Can't wait

I'm looking forward to getting an S1000RR and destroying the sensible, pipe and cordura wearing image of BMW owners. I'll be riding at silly speeds on country roads, wheelie overtakes past slow traffic, knee down round islands. The piece d'resistance, pulling up the BM dealers in fly spattered humpback leathers, black visor, storm trooper boots with a stupidly loud racefit can and postage stamp number plate stuck on the undertray. Thats what biking about. Anti-socialness, on its way to a BMW dealer near you soon :-)

Reply to this Topic
slimshany

Jul 09

slimshany says:

s1000rr

got to say i'm not suprised at mcn's comments,bmw don't mess about when they do something!it will be interesting what the compitition do in 2010?i think its worth the money and if i had't spent so much money on my zx10r i would order one tomorrow!!

Reply to this Topic
johncrosby

Nov 09

johncrosby says:

Apologies

Sorry for pissing you all off with my comment about Scum, but it's actually of Germanic origin; related to Old High German scūm, Middle Dutch schūm, and Old French escume. It's a term of endearment, not meant as an insult. :-) It's good to have heated discussions about bikes, I've enjoyed the replies. Good on you all. And I agree that the BMW world is too full of old people smelling of moths and mould. One thing about money though - if you factor in resale value then BMWs and Ducatis aren't actually very much more expensive that their Japanese rivals. And let's be honest a bike costs about as much as a small car and is 1000% more fun and interesting. Even BMW cars bore me to death. Sorry again for upsetting anyone, let's all be civil and polite from now on, me included.

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Funny ...

This thread has been a lot of fun. The best bit the last - our " offender " invoking old High German etc to try and extricate himself from the completely isolated rock in a heaving sea of criticism that he was perched on, like a very lonely shag. ( that's a water bird as you know - not the other thing ) We have to appreciate that BMW are deliberately and consciously re-inventing and re-positioning themselves in the market by designing this kind of motorcycle and then risking all ( including possible World-wide televised humiliation ) by racing it in WSBK. Reports from various motorcycle sites and publications, other than MCN, reckon the thing is just  " the berries " - incredibly sophisticated, great handling and an absolute rocket. For example, the electronic fuel management and mapping is way ahead of the Japanese and meets not only the Euro Regs presently - but the next wave AND the ones after that! An unfortunate side-effect of this is the recent/new " K " series sounding like sand and/or fine gravel has got into the engine when coasting or on the overrun. A good buddy of mine that I have raced and ridden with for some 35+ years has a GS 1150 and adores the thing. It hasn't been particularly reliable at all. Whenever he rides one of my totally faultless Japanese big-bores he comes back shaking his head and saying how bloody good and very fast they are - and I ask him, " why not change then ? ". He always invokes the class/expense/social-standing and their BMW owner-involvement activities. Fair enough, but go figure. Another mate had one of the spectacular 1990 K1's, which cost him a bomb to buy and own. He grew to hate it and heard stories from other owners of phantom, random missing and compression mysteries ( missing piston rings, would you believe ) and other assembly horrors. An equally frustrated dealer finally told him," Mate, everyone pictures white-coated or overalled Teutonic geniuses putting these things together with white gloves on. The reality is they are bunged together by Turkish guest workers because no-one in Germany wants to lower themselves to menial labour anymore!" That was then and this is now. BMW are working very hard to improve supplier quality and their own finish and assembly these days. When they finally get to the zenith in reliability of my scummy Japanese motorcycles - maybe I'll consider one. See you schum chums ...

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

I have been reading MCN for over 35 years now and without fail the latest bike to arrive on the market is always the best in their eyes. another interesting point is they always get a higher top speed out of their test than any other magazine,  bar none. I would really like to see a proper critical analysis of all the bikes not an ass licking write up.

There is no doubt that a lot has gone into this bike so it is going to be typical BMW, high price tag, poor quality, humungeous operating costs , other than that it will be a good bike. it will be interesting when MCN tests the next model to come out when inevitably they will say things like ahh the suspension is better , and they have removed the flat spot in acceleration, or the quality control is improved,, all points not mentioned in the original launch of the bike.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

I have been reading MCN for over 35 years now and without fail the latest bike to arrive on the market is always the best in their eyes. another interesting point is they always get a higher top speed out of their test than any other magazine,  bar none. I would really like to see a proper critical analysis of all the bikes not an ass licking write up.

There is no doubt that a lot has gone into this bike so it is going to be typical BMW, high price tag, poor quality, humungeous operating costs , other than that it will be a good bike. it will be interesting when MCN tests the next model to come out when inevitably they will say things like ahh the suspension is better , and they have removed the flat spot in acceleration, or the quality control is improved,, all points not mentioned in the original launch of the bike.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices