Skip to content

Discuss This Police target riders for not wearing hi-vis General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Police target riders for not wearing hi-vis

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Police target riders for not wearing hi-vis

Police in Sussex have admitted targeting motorcyclists for not wearing hi-vis bibs. The force stopped 150 commuters for not wearing hi-vis gear in a five-day operation and issued each with a bib which they were told they should wear in a road-side lecture. A force spokesman said: “Riders were given a free hi-vis vest and a talk about road safety,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 November 2009 17:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

ah! I see...

...the purpose of of the police is to target the VICTIMS of crime, not the perpetrators. Thanks for making that so clear. Now to avoid accusations - an in todays litigious societyu possible legal action - how about the plod go back and repeat the exercise with commuters in cars - who they admit are the cause of the accidents. Finally, it's Brighton. Just about every bloody signpost, streetlamp, shop window and home has gaudy dayglo draped over it, hanging from it or stuck to it. How does a dayglo vest aid conspicuity when everything around it is ALSO BLOODY DAYGLO. Cretins. Absolute cretins.

Reply to this Topic
GSFK9

Sep 09

GSFK9 says:

I Think

Sussex Police is doing a good Job. :smile

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

Targeting bikers

I dont think its it targeting bikers in a bad way, this is them trying to reduce accidents without using enforcement and assuming its all the bikers fault for riding to fast.

Personally i would rather be stopped and given a free vest than stopped and given a producer for some ridiculous made up offence. Still once they had given me the vest i would probably never wear it, but thats my choice.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

Potentially irritating

but at least they trying to save us from some pain. No point in targeting car drivers; if they haven't got the message by now, they never will.

(GSFK9 - may I compliment you on the photos on your profile page - highly recc. (to blokes))

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

FIRSTLY

“Every police car was issued with hi-vis vests,” she said. “The objective of the operation was that if we saw motorcyclists riding without hi-vis clothing, we’d stop them and give them a vest.”

AND THEN:

He denied riders not in hi-vis were targeted and said those already wearing hi-vis gear may also have been stopped during the operation last month.

Guy's as thick as the rest of his little Police buddies and clearly can't decide WHAT it was exactly they were all doing harrassing innocent individuals.

European Convention on Human Rights comes into play... Right to compensation...

Reply to this Topic
dazfuller

Oct 07

dazfuller says:

If only

Its good to see the police doing something positive like this instead of just giving lectures and warnings. Very positive I think

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

good/bad

i think its good that the police are giving out high vis gear and not fines but stopping people on their morning commute (probably to work) for a chat about safety probably isnt the most enjoyable thing. why dont the police go to the biker hangouts (they all know where they are) and hand some out there

Reply to this Topic
rollingpeace

May 09

rollingpeace says:

don't persecute, assist

Compared to the police in certian (unmentioned) parts of wales this is a brilliant plan,

I come from a family on two wheels and while wearing a high vis jacket will conflict with the style of your gear ( for those who care about that) I have been told by bikers and car drivers alike that it gets their attention which is better than being pasted into the tarmac by a "smidsy" (sorry mate I didn't see you).

I hope the police in london might find a few hours to do the same...

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

when hi vis ani't hi vis

I've worked in  a wharehouse  where there was so much hi-vis material that a safety vest sometimes just seemed to get lost in it.

I think there needed to be some restraint where it's used. Every year theres more and more of it.

Imagen if every surface was hi-vised in the almighty name of safety, you probably be safer wearing black.

Reply to this Topic
nickyipee

May 09

nickyipee says:

Fair enough

Yeah at least the police are trying to do something. Although I have a highly visible leather jacket (red white and blue) and helmet. Not black that alot of riders wear.

Also cant believe the police are still buying the old "I didnt see him guv". Im sorry but thats absolute garbage. Now assuming a rider wasnt doing 120 in 30. Its the car drivers responsibility and they shoul have a lenghy ban if not prison if theyu have killed someone. Witnesses will vouch for any incident as well.

Can MCN get some stats on motorbike accidents please?. i.e 80% at night. 50% in rural area etc. That would give bikers some usefull info.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices