Skip to content

Products Brakko CWB system Parts & accessories

You are in... Forums > Products > Parts & accessories > Brakko CWB system

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rob Hull  says:

Brakko CWB system

You may have seen the Brakko braking system images in this week’s MCN (November 18 issue) and wondered how on earth the system worked. Save money on motorcycle brakes Well here’s an explanatory video to help you work it out. The CWB is a wheel with the brake disc enclosed centrally between the spokes called the Combined Wheel Brake. By having the disc fixed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 November 2009 17:34)

Post a message in Parts & accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
haiiro99

Nov 09

haiiro99 says:

Very clever, very complicated

Nice idea but some how I don't think it'll take on for racers. Currently you can quickly swap just the rubber (with the wheel) when you're running a tyre selection during practice/ qually and keep the discs, calipers and pads, but I can't see how you'd do that with this system. Also, there's extra weight in the arms for the calipers that the conventional systems don't have.

Also, the manufacturing process better be damn good because you've got a multi-piece wheel now instead of the single casting.

I can see BMW or Bimota taking this on though because they like going  for odd tech.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Very clever

Looks like they've got fast wheel change covered, swapping the complete assembly more quickly than you could swap a standard wheel, and no issues of pad to disc matching or bedding - they stay together - just a neat hydraulic coupling and four bolts.  Each spare wheel has to be complete with brakes though, so expense would be through the roof.

Hard to believe in the three second advantage though - that's a big claim.  It can't be that much lighter, or have much less gyro effect, and the cooling looks a bit dodgy in spite of the ideas claimed in the video.  They need to hand a few out and get them tested head to head on otherwise like machinery - I'm ready and waiting...

Reply to this Topic
bod43

Dec 09

bod43 says:

Racing advantages

This looks quite interesting.

Possible advantages for racing:-

Reduced aerodynamic drag.

Reduced steering system rotational inertia (about the steerind head) due to calipers being on-axis. (No idea if this is important on a bike or not but it will be reduced I would think.)

Things to worry about -

Braking heat getting into tyres (tyre pressure variation).

Brake cooling.

Weight - obviously unsprung, but it does not at first glance look necessarily much heavier than a conventional setup.

Cost - obviously not critical for the high end classes.

Stifness of the brake reaction system. I guess all the brake torque has to be fed through the wheel spindle to the forks. I suppose the spindle can be made large enough in diameter and of an exotic enough material to meet any required specification.

The apparent bollocks about the "central application of braking force" in their material of course makes me very suspicious of the whole thing.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices