You are in... Forums > General > General > honda 650 ntv deavuille

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Citiboy

Nov 09

Citiboy says:

honda 650 ntv deavuille

:wacko:got a honda 650ntv deauvill for comuting. has a wicked fault.when gets up to 80 mph feels like fuel starvation. stutters & splutters.come of the throtle then when you put the throtle back on aprox 5second delay befor any responce. have had it in a bike shop for three weeks now. but they canot find the fault. carbs and total fuel systom checked. coils checked new rectifier fitted as old one was faulty. breathers checked. now looking at spark box. do you think this could cause this fault. or have we over looked somthing. the chap looking at it is no slouch. had his own bikework shop years. rebuilds bikes for customers. and wellnown round this aria.good reputation from all i have spoken to. but he is stumped. please help.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (21 November 2009 01:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

I know it may be stupid

but is the fuel flowing to the carbs ok? Remove the feed pipe to the float chambers and it should piss out. If it has an inline filter is it in need of replacement? Is the fuel tank vent hole blocked? Hope this helps Dave.

Reply to this Topic
MrHarlequin

Aug 02

MrHarlequin says:

Does it do it all the time?

Reason I ask is the fuel pump is a known weak spot on them, but it can be intermittant.  Mine let me down twice (second time in the outside lane of the M40 - not fun) when it felt like fuel starvation, but in my case the engine died completely.

First time it did it, it righted itself and the shop couldn't find the problem, although sometimes it's just the contacts.  Second time a new pump sorted it out.

Reply to this Topic
Citiboy

Nov 09

Citiboy says:

honda 650 ntv devil

:mellow:Have been right through fuel system tested flow from tank.swaped fuel pump. fitted newinline filter.striped carbs checked neadle valves float chamber. teasted secondry breather pipe. checked airbox for leaks. the bike goes well up to 80 mph.dosent mis a beat.then as soon as you ar in top gear starts to act up. you can dip the clutch and coast for a while which if fuel starvation should give carbs time to fill. while coasting you can rev the engine and it reves ok. but as soon as you let the clutch out and its all under load start to excelerate it starts missing.then if you close throtle down then open it up again you get a big delay befor the engin starts to excelerate. always at about 80 mph.

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

This came up on another thread

gizzabreak says:

This has come up on another thread

I had exactly this problem on an XS1100 years ago and after a lot of money spent, and banging head against wall, it turned out to be one of the HT leads arcing.

Wrap some electrical tape around the plug caps to just passed where the lead enters it and try it then.

If one or both of the HT lead has broken down, this will insulate it and stop the problems under load.

If it is one of the HT's, replace them both as they're not that expensive.

If that doesn't work, check the condition of your plugs, make sure they're torqued in properly (not too tight), and make sure the plug caps are seated properly onto the spark plugs.

I don't think this is a problem withthe fuel system.

If it were, it would manifest at any given time, and not just at higher speeds.

I reckon it's electrical. 

Reply to this Topic
Citiboy

Nov 09

Citiboy says:

hondaNTV 650 devil

thanks for this info I did ask ben if he had tested the leads and he said they checked out ok. but I will have to ask him how he checked them as with a car you use a rolling road to test under load how he checked them in a bike work shop I dont Know. it dose all seem to point to electrics. thats wy I wonderd about the spark box as I dont now mutch about them. still He wants to try swaping the spark box aparently he Knows where he can borow one from. But if that fails to rectify the fault then he will have to backtrack over the electrics. many thanks for info will have to get him to test it that way with insulation tape. it dose to me sound most probable. will keep you posted. and as soon as i Know then I will put it out on the fourum. regards to all and many thanks for trying to assist me in my time of woe.

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

The only way

You can eliminate the HT's as the possible cause, is by insulating them as I suggested, or fitting a new pair and trying them out.

Are you being charged hourly for the diagnosis ?

Reply to this Topic
Citiboy

Nov 09

Citiboy says:

honda 650 ntv devil

:dopeyhmmmm:Think so. once problem sorted he will be fully servicing it for me. he is a fair chap and I was introduced to him by a long time frind of mine. who inturn has also been a long time freind of him and his son. comes with good recomondation from many a biker round these parts. Actuly feel sory for him as i gave him such a wicked fault. we both thort at first it was just a fuel problem. I took my  GS500 down to him when it was playing up. he looked at it while i was there striped the carbs out cleared a jamed needle valve refitted them. balanced them on the spot. worked on the bike none stop for 3 hours and only charged me £40.00. He needs the bike out of the way as short of space. and he is now fitting it in between other work to keep cost down while he has time to think about the problem. sort of chap who wont give up and wont hand a bike back unless its right. more of a challenge now than a job to him. so I dont think im going to be stuffed with a hefty bill.

Reply to this Topic
jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

Not sure if it's ok

for me to recommend it but you might want to try the UK deauville owners club forum. There's a lot of knowledge on there about these bikes. If you google you should find it.

Rob.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices