Go to most recent reply

gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Babs

Some uncomfortable facts

News

"Born Again Bikers Fuel Rise in Serious Crashes

New figures from the Department for Transport have revealed a shocking rise in the number of middle aged bikers being killed or seriously injured over the past 10 years.

The rate of serious accidents involving riders aged 40-49 doubled in the 10 years to 2006, whilst the figures for bikers in their twenties dropped by a third. The rise in accidents involving middle aged motorcyclists who often have little experience of riding but who can afford high-powered sports bikes has been a bitter note in the otherwise encouraging drop in motorcycle deaths per mile.

The phenomenon of the born-again biker, a motorist who rode bikes in his or her younger years but then switched to cars before going back to bikes many years later, has been blamed for the surge in accidents on UK roads. Pre-1981 motorcycle licenses were much easier to obtain, and many riders who qualified in their youth now have the financial clout to be able to afford top of the range bikes with top speeds over 170 miles per hour.

Official figures reveal that motorcyclists are 51 times more likely to be killed per mile travelled compared with car drivers. Equally worrying was the observation that a fifth of motorbike accidents in 2006 were caused by the rider simply losing control, no other vehicles were involved. Losing control was the biggest cause of crashes for bikes with engines larger than 500cc".

That was from three years ago.

Since then, the stats are actually worse :upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (25 November 2009 22:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Philidiot

Your hearts in the right place, but if you want Gizza to do some talking at people while they`re out on a ride.....well, you can have mine.!

I`d rather stick my willie in an E-Coli infected bacon slicer than have that bloke anywhere near me.

And thats the truth.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

yep

hmm, its true, but each person has to take responsibility for themselves.

They could put a special highspeed control test for higher powered bikes that involves an offroad centre like a race track, but real world conditions can be even more challenging.

The IAM is a good course. Also brilliant is the police motorcyclists manual (although I have never read it and only go on comments left on amazon).

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Gizza might be looking,

don't mention the IAM!! but you might have got away with it! if he's not looking! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
Father_Jack

Jun 08

Father_Jack says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply to this Topic
flatspots

Aug 09

flatspots says:

Babs

Leave babs alone. I'm fed up with this carry on :hmmm: 

Barbara Windsor Address and ...