Skip to content

Discuss This NEC Show: Triumph to grow model range 'significantly' General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > NEC Show: Triumph to grow model range 'significantly'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

NEC Show: Triumph to grow model range 'significantly'

Triumph has promised to grow its range “significantly” in the next three years, as it celebrates becoming the best-performing bike firm in the world. Get all the latest NEC Show news The Hinckley firm’s profits have grown 16% during the worst year for biking ever, and says it will plough that profit straight into new model development. Triumph’s Product Manager Simon Warburton told...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 November 2009 15:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i'm hardly qualified to comment on british bikes as i have an italian number, but we should encourage so called smaller manufacturers with their niche products.  the day they try to out-do the japanese will be their downfall - not everyone wants to ride a a default munter 1000cc superbike ...

Reply to this Topic
Mart58

Nov 09

Mart58 says:

Something to look forward to

Brilliant news. Hope they provide a half faired bike to compete with the Bandit and Fazer. They have got all the components.

Got back to biking after 33 years and got the Bonneville I always wanted as a lad. Two years on wanted something more modern and with a bit more grunt - keeping the Bonneville. Very impressed and pleased with the whole Triumph brand and wanted to stick with it.

Did'nt want a sports bike - ruled out the Daytona and Sprint. Not into cruisers. Find the Tiger an aquired taste and anyhow too tall. Liked the Speed and Sport Triple, but after a bit of protection. Ended up with the FZ1 Fazer - brillant bike but not a Triumph. Hopefully there will be a Triumph option when I come to replace.

Reply to this Topic
MrMidlands

Dec 09

MrMidlands says:

Buy British!

Good to see a positive news article from MCN that features Triumphs.

I passed my direct access approx 10 years ago, and to begin with owned the usual Jap 600cc fodder, but was persuaded by a friend to try an immaculate 2nd hand Triumph Daytona T595 and was so glad I did. Apart from a brief spell of ownership of a VN800 classic (healing broken ankle so couldn't ride a 'sports' bike for a bit) I have owned nothing but Triumphs including Tiger 955i, T595, Daytona 1200 and speed triple 900 for the past 6 years. They offer a mix of character, real world performance and a cool individuality that a majority of Jap bikes are not in my view able to match, and the dealers seem decent too.

I think the underlying reason that Triumph are so successful, is that the owner Mr Bloor (based upon interviews and articles I have read about the man) has always treated the company purely as a brand and a business proposition and not as a romantic dream of owning a bike company. A product was never launched that wasn't able to contribute to the company and return a viable profit. Some have criticised (including MCN) Triumph for manufacturing parts abroad or opening factories in other countries to manufacture bikes for other world markets, but that's modern business for you. With this successful approach, the company was not only able to survive a serious factory fire at the turn of the century but remain in profit, with those profits increasing year on year whilst retaining a niche market feel to their line up of machines. Sadly (if you want a direct Daytona 955i replacement) I believe the Daytona 1099 or 1100 replacement is already here and it is the Sprint ST. Triumph have already been caught out trying to compete in R1 and Blade class with the 955i Daytona and the current pace of change in the 1 litre class is so fast that to compete financially on the street and on the track in this category isn't viable for Triumph. I hope I am wrong about this, but whenever I speak to a Triumph rep there is not even a hint of a maybe in the reply. As for the guy who bought a Fazer thou, how about the Sprint 1050?

Triumph has no need to make a cheap 600cc commuter. There already plenty of options already out there for that including some from China, so why should they try to compete with that and dilute the brand? I say that Triumph should stick at what they do best, and remain on track with their niche but affordable (and very reliable) range of bikes. We should all be proud that bikes as good as Triumph's that are recognised around the world as a quality motorcycle, are manufactured in one of the most modern plants in the world and are based in our own back yard in Leicestershire.

Reply to this Topic
irossiter

Jul 09

irossiter says:

Go Your Own Way Triumph!

Have dreamt about owning a Triumph Daytona since I was finishing school in 1989. Have watched the development of the brand since then. Finally got my licence 2 years ago after not caring what my parent's or various girlfriends think. Now I cry at the thought of missing out on the freedom of a bike for the last 15 years, but then again I may well have killed myself if I was riding at 18 or 19!! Just picked up my 2010 Street Triple R a week ago after yearning for a Triumph since 1989. Just can't describe how utterly addictive the engine is (and trying to run it in is killing me!). Triumph's products are world class and I am very glad that the rest of the world see that when just about all manufacturer's are suffering apart from Beemer and Ducati I think. The enthusiasm for the brand here in Australia is phenomenal. And their clothing range should be a lesson to all other brands. People are proud to ride and be seen in Triumph gear. Who cares about the doof doofs riding around on 1000cc Jap sports bikes, no class and every man and his dog has one. Keep up the brilliant and unique designs Triumph and don't make Jap copies to just sell more bikes. Was devastated in August this year when the factory tours were temporarily stopped for renovation of the visitor's centre! Was in the UK for 3 weeks. Will be worth the 24 hr flight again next year to pay homage! PS: My Arrows rock!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle