You are in... Forums > General > General > Winter Riding

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

benwijamin

Nov 09

benwijamin says:

Winter Riding

I have riden my 125 for 3 years, all year round. However it was a bit of a state. Having just passed my test and now the very proud owner of a Yamaha YZF Thundercat, I wonder if anybody can share:

- Info on winter riding on a large bike
- How to keep it looking immaculate
- Tips on keeping warm (No doubt i'll be going quicker)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 November 2009 17:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

stick it in the garage.

and keep it there till march.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

winter riding

the general advice is to be smooth and gentle with everything you do - throttle, brakes, steering etc. Try to look up the road, anticipate the likely traffic scenario and give yourself sufficient time to set your speed/change gear etc - bear in mind the road surface will be less grippy.

hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
DrAtsab

Jul 09

DrAtsab says:

Winter Riding

Be smooth and keep your speed down. Expect car drivers to be even worse. Be aware of the risk of being dazzled by oncoming traffic. This is especially bad on unlit roads; look ahead and ease of the throttle and in rain keep your visor clear of water drops as often as you can.

Don't bother trying to keep your bike looking immaculate as you'll just get upset. Hose off any salt as soon as you can. Just keep on top of the dirt, and apply a good corrosion protector.

Invest in good clothing, and a heated vest helps. If you get really good gloves (AlpineStars do a really good winter glove) you can get away with no heated grips unless it's sub-zero. Take care that you might end up suffering from exposure if you begin to feel cold. Carry a visor cleaner with you as you'll need it.

If you ride all winter you'll find dry, bright days later in the year a breeze.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

some advice I got

was a) if you plan to do a lot of winter riding, then heated grips make a huge difference, and b) if you don't have heated grips, then stop every once in a while and let your gloves warm up on hot exhaust.

Reply to this Topic
tankertrev

Oct 09

tankertrev says:

grips

i got heated grips on mine , by daytona , 2 settings ,   one is luke warm, the other is effing hot, believe me.... if they  dont warm yer hands up wen its sub zero , then nowt will :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Boy Have You Come To

The wrong forum to ask that question.

You'd be best going somewhere people aren't too frightened of catching a chill.

Reply to this Topic
tankertrev

Oct 09

tankertrev says:

ask me owt benji, :biggrin:  im a full time biker,   ride in wet , snow , ice , you name it.... not like some of my work mates who .. only....  get on their machines 2 months of the year  wen its bone dry:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

!

tankertrev says:

ask me owt benji, :biggrin:  im a full time biker,   ride in wet , snow , ice , you name it.... not like some of my work mates who .. only....  get on their machines 2 months of the year  wen its bone dry:tongue:

Careful mate.

Making such a decleration is tantamount to sacrilege here.

You can amost here the Babs, led by Steveg, recoiling in horror at the merest suggestion that bikes are for anything other than Summertime posing.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
tankertrev

Oct 09

tankertrev says:

your not a all year round biker like myself are u mate ?:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Winter riding

Ben if you have ridden the 125 for three years winter and summer then you will be aware of most of the pitfalls.  

Larger bikes- are a great benefit however with power at the back wheel come responsibility so don't gun it out of every corner as you will soon come unstuck. Minor slips and slides are normal and you will get use to the feed- back from the rear wheel, it's all about control and confidence. 

Looking after the bike. - Keep the handle bar controls free using WD40/light grease/water repellent. Pay attention to all the usual problem areas tyres, brakes, lights etc. at least weekly. Frame paint work etc can be coated in a suitable spray. Don't clean the bike after each ride it will drive you insane in a week but do clean and inspect it during daylight hours at the weekends. Forget immaculate!

Riding daily your kit will take a hammering so have at least two of everything and use various combinations to match the weather. To stay comfortable you will need to become good at assessing the weather and act accordingly. Best rule is to 'dress like an onion' in other words many layers of light clothing and not one thick item. Keep the cost down by being imaginative ie using poly bags (inside your boots) and plastic gloves(from the garage- inside your winter gloves). 

Ensure you have breakdown cover and carry an emergency kit small tourch,phone, money,good quality tools,bungees,bulbs and puncture repair kit.

And one last thing I am a fat basta*d so I find eating a breakfast before setting out for work helps.

Ask Gizza and the more experianced riders they should be able to help ............... if they can stop taking the piss for 5 minutes! 

Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices