Skip to content

Discuss This Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict

The long-awaited Honda VFR1200F has been just undergoing its first road test in the hands of MCN Executive Editor Phil West, this is what he has to say: “After riding Honda’s new VFR1200F over 300kms in southern Spain I have to say it’s a good bike – but not a great one. Get all the latest news on the Honda VFR1200F And after all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 November 2009 16:53)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
busaboy09

Oct 09

busaboy09 says:

vfr1200

so now we know , the looks of the bike are a massive let down, and now so is the ride, ,  please tell me fo a reported tourer how far did you get on the 18ltr tank ,   what has honda done \?????

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

PERSONAL OPINION

I am most certainly surprised to read this report from MCN. I have read test reports from italian, canadian and american motorcycle journalists and they totally disagree with the above report. Needless to say everyone is entitled to their opinion and at this stage that is all the above article is. Am I to understand that this is an inferior machine to the current Triumph Sprint ST and all BMW machines and a future Ducati bike. I am delighted to read that you were reasonably impressed but it sounds as if you may have been taken in by all the hype for this machine and possibly you expected it to be better than a superbike all the current sport tourers and eyerything else currently available. I shall reserve judgement until I have ridden it myself.  Nevertheless I respect your opinion. Ciao

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

surprise.

I thought Honda had a hidden card on this bike or something. But after all the reviews I've read so far, the only surprise is the price. I think Honda will have a hard time keeping customers from buying a Triumph Sprint ST for thousands less...I'm always surprised that with today's marketing surveys and all the information manufacturers have access to, they manage to produce a bike that just doesnt meet customers needs (tank to small, bike too heavy, accessorie luggage too small, etc..). I think by trying to make a bike that does it all, you end up with a bike that isnt great at anything.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

Oh dear ...

Not just a typical Honda in that it's well built but lacking excitement, but seemingly not that great to ride around sunny Spain.  At a time when the bike market is demanding 800 to 1000cc sports tourers, Honda go and finally wreck the iconic VFR.  Speedo is spot on - a company like Honda should have created a new VFR and a new Blackbird as direct replacements, with more 'sport' in the VFR.  If this new VFR really isn't that good, what a spectacular own goal.

Reply to this Topic
jonnyrocket

Mar 09

jonnyrocket says:

ooop's

This bike should've been a progression from the VFR800Fi, as Suzuki have done with GSXR750.  Suzuki simply improved an iconic bike over the years to make it arguably the best sportbike out there.  Did the market beckon for a fat over-blown K1300 look-alike no.  I wanted personally a lighter faster, better handling VFR than my previous bike, which had better gas consumption and rid of the horrible VTEC and could carry two people in comfort,  just like the Triumph Sprint.

Sorry Honda...I shall keep my Speed Triple and wait for the new Sprint next year...

Reply to this Topic
jonnyrocket

Mar 09

jonnyrocket says:

ooop's

This bike should've been a progression from the VFR800Fi, as Suzuki have done with GSXR750.  Suzuki simply improved an iconic bike over the years to make it arguably the best sportbike out there.  Did the market beckon for a fat over-blown K1300 look-alike no.  I wanted personally a lighter faster, better handling VFR than my previous bike, which had better gas consumption and rid of the horrible VTEC and could carry two people in comfort,  just like the Triumph Sprint.

Sorry Honda...I shall keep my Speed Triple and wait for the new Sprint next year...

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

RIP

Oh dear Honda. A merely "good" bike in this company is just not good enough. And what ivory tower are the VFR team living in? When it seems the entire biking population is crying out for an updated 800 in many of the guises I have read about, they go and burn it all to the ground with this 'barrow, repugnant to all but three people with questionable eyesight. 1200F the way forward? I'll take the past thanks.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

Ugly lump

For 15 years I bought & rode Hondas, including 2x VF1000s, which I loved, but the press seemed to ignore or slag off. Eventually I switched to Triumph (currently Sprint ST) and no matter what the glitz or hype, this latest offering would NOT tempt me back - more Triumphs and perhaps a Norton for me!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
scottdiver690

Nov 09

Backwards step

Lets face it, Honda hasnt had a decent sports tourer since they brought out the silly and frustrating Vtec VFR800, i was never a fan of the old ' fatbird 1100XX either' but at least in its day it was ground breaking and looked sharp, this thing is hideous and expensive and will be bought by the bearded BMW brigade which probably means sales wont be that good, anybody remember the Yahama GTS1000?, i will be buying a Bandit 1200, long live carburettors!

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Fuel consumption

One point I really don't get with this bike is you have ambient air temperature but no distance to empty or fuel consumption. My Speed Triple which is in no way a sport-touring bike, has live fuel consumption (still wish it showed me remaining milleage since the bike knows the fuel consumption, but on a Speed Triple it's not that big of an issue since the purpose of the bike ain't to travel from New York to Buenos Aires). On a VFR1200 though, you'd expect it not only to have a larger tank but precise fuel milleage indicator. Small details, but it seems so obviously wrong to me for this category of bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices