Skip to content

Discuss This Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict

The long-awaited Honda VFR1200F has been just undergoing its first road test in the hands of MCN Executive Editor Phil West, this is what he has to say: “After riding Honda’s new VFR1200F over 300kms in southern Spain I have to say it’s a good bike – but not a great one. Get all the latest news on the Honda VFR1200F And after all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 November 2009 16:53)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Oh Dear

Thanks for the review. It will be interesting to see how well the thing long term tests - if any of the mags  buys one. I do like the idea of a high quality bike but I find myself agreeing completely with jmcbr - the revolution in bike design will only happen when the manufacturers take on the economy and servicing cost problems with motorcycles - It costs me more to run a middleweight bike than a Jaguar what with frequent services, tyres etc and similar insurance the barely better economy just doesn't make any savings.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

honesty

Firstly I must herald Phils and MCN's brave and honest report ,all too frequently over the past years we have seen the latest creation , the all singing all dancing highly promoted must have, get a fantastic first review , only to find 6 months later that in fact it is not as good as the initial fanfare. I recall the last critical report that I read and that was many years ago in Bike magazine and also featured a Honda. Honda were so incensed they removed their advertising campaign from them for over a year. I hope that this doesnt happen this time and that finally  other mags will finally get around to telling it as it is. I accept perhaps some of the points raised might be construed as nit picking, but they should not exist at all on a bike that has had such a huge amount of pre-release publicity.

I have to agree with most of the previous comments especially the ones referring to fuel tank size and more especially consumption. It is ludicrous in this day and age that manufacturers cannot produce more than 45mpg.

However Honda cars are not particularly frugal either, I know , I own one.

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

ANDY DOWNES - PHIL WEST

A huge difference of opinion from these two Motorcycle Journalists. in Andy Downes first ride article of 22 Oct from Sugo he enthused about this machine and to quote a verbatim extract from his report "the overall impression is of a bike that feels just right for the sports tourer slot" which is pretty much where it is intended for with a more sporting bias than the now defunct VFR800. Admittedly Andy had a much shorter ride than Phils 300Km in Southern Spain. In Phils opinion as stated above it is a good but not a great bike an opinion I respect but it is his opinion. As to the fuel consumption et al I do not know of another motorcycle in this category that gives huge miles per gallon from any other manufacturer.  The touring accessories not good enough is a sweeping statement which is not explained in the least in this article ??. I believe there has been far too much hype surrounding the launch of this bike and we were led to believe that it was a quantum leap for sports biased touring. Once again I reserve judgement until I have ridden this machine for myself because what is one mans meat is another mans poison. However I noticed that the figure of £12,000 has been bandied around in some of the blogs here, can anyone confirm what the definite price for this in the UK is. Ciao

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Just be thankful

we've got the choice - even if it is to say no!

Reply to this Topic
rok1679

Nov 05

rok1679 says:

vfr

I want my 1995 VFR back !!!

Reply to this Topic
lacijoci

Jul 09

lacijoci says:

This verdict seems very one-sided. I think the rivals (BMW, Triumph) are much more boring. Those looked very old-fashioned. The Ducati Multistrada is extremly ugly (it is only my opinion). The japanese are not so good in designing, but they produce very reliable motorcycles for reasonable prices. But what about the BMW? They are very expensive but they have not as many great results as the japanese in the sports. It is the same with the Triumph. Why should I prefer the Tiumph or BMW? Only because the name? Ducati is a very competitive, but the prices are unreal. This Honda are not a hot shot, but I am sure it is perfect for touring. I would be very happy if I had one.

Reply to this Topic
996kev

Dec 09

996kev says:

Kevin ash is hard on the vfr too so its not just Phil west having a bad day, he's done a report on his website www.ashonbikes.com. You cant argue with the fuel range problem, you can have all the technoloy you like but if you have to fill it up every 130 miles thats not good enough for something thats meant for touring

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

One word...

DULL :-(

There's absolutely nothing that even remotely gets me excited about this bike.  It's a real shame.  It seems as though Honda have tried to make a bike that's "all things to all" but in the process they've lost the plot entirely.

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

lacijoci I'd be happy to have one too. I'm sure it does the job adequately. However, Honda only have themselves to blame for the reaction of the journos testing the bike. They hyped it up so massively with their V4 presentation (was it Milan last year? I can't remember) and claims it was going to be the first bike in space and the first bike to cure diabetes etc.

They were setting themselves up for a fall. When this bike is stacked up against its rivals, it's going to fall short. Any company that sticks the DN-01 onto the market (at £10K) needs to have a quiet word with its customers.

Does this remind anyone of Honda's MotoGP team? A bit clueless and lacking clear focus and direction?

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

lacijoci

Do you have eyes?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle