Skip to content

General Im having an issue.... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Im having an issue....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dumptruck

Sep 07

Dumptruck says:

Im having an issue....

Went to the bike show on Saturday and enjoyed it very much. But i cant help but think that the majority of us and the motorcycling press are getting so blinkered and biased towards sports bikes that we barely even look at other bikes. for example R1 wins bike of the year. Theres a shock, it was either that or the GSXR1000. Dont get me wrong its a great bike and probably deserves to be up there with the best, but we seem to have become obsessed with speed and sportiness when there were lots of other bikes there with loads of other things on offer. What about the Victory Core? sheer lunacy! or the new norton. or the KTM 990 SMT what about something less than 1000cc heaven forbid bike of the year goes to a 125 but the Rieju looked ACE!!

I think what im trying to say is that we seem obsessed with the big 3, rideability, functionality, and performance when perhaps we should judge bikes on other characteristics, such as aesthetics, design brilliance, engineering, quirkiness, character and originality.

My wife said it best when we came off the Victory stand after looking at some of their hideous (but brilliantly odd) tourers. "i didnt like that in anyway, but at least ill remember it, i couldnt tell the difference between the sports bikes at more than 5 yards"

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 November 2009 17:56)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
950Darren

Oct 08

950Darren says:

U2BF........

Well i dont blame you each to their own:winkie: I still think KTM are the best all rounder:smile And when i snuff it on my bike will get the misses to pm you :lol:

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

!

missing my point...

can you honestly say that the 2009 Harley XR1200  is much different than an Harley from 1969 ? no innovation at all....can you say that about the Japanese bikes?

Erm excuse me.:wacko:

I wasn't addressing your point.

I was addressing the very valid issue being raised by the author of this thread.

Since when did it become your thread :huh:

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Getting

Bored with the Jap sports bikes, looking at them at the NEC they all looked much of a sameness, and cheap looking which considering the cost, they shouldn't.

The bikes that caught my attention were the European makes, the BMW HP2 looks really well made and a decent size for someone bigger than 5,2"..Love the KTM RC8 and Ducati's which have a real feel of quality rather than a disposable item..

The new Jap sports reading the tests suggests they are pushing the power figures ever higher at the expense of useability on the road, my previous R1 (02) model had great road manners whereas the newer ones peaky..
Had a test ride on the new 'Blade' last year and it felt gutless low down the rev range whereas the Aprilia I've got rarely needs to go above 6k revs for day to day riding..

Reply to this Topic
benwijamin

Nov 09

benwijamin says:

Fairly New

I've just bought my first 'big bike', an '03 thundercat. This is the most fun I've had, even when it's p1ss1ing it down.

I would consider myself a fairly average rider, and the latest 'hair on fire' 200mph superbike interests me just about as much as 50cc scooters.

I think magpies may enjoy them as they're so shiny, but not my bag.

...just my two penneth :smile

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Would anyone..

like to suggest a more suitable bike for the title of 'Bike of the Year'.......I'll put my money on the er6f, for all the reasons I've mentioned in my earlier posts.:smile...and let's try and keep this post sensible,without the slagging off of peoples choices.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Dave...

not out today?:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Dave..

'course I'm posting this wirelessly from the wilds of  wherever...:biggrin:.....you too?:winkie:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices