Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies cautious on 2010 prospects MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies cautious on 2010 prospects

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies cautious on 2010 prospects

Ben Spies insists he won’t get carried away after the reigning World Superbike champion made an encouraging start to his Yamaha MotoGP career last month. Spies finished seventh on his YZR-M1 debut in Valencia and followed that impressive display with an eye-catching performance at the first winter test session for 2010. Spies though is aware of the size of the task he...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (02 December 2009 14:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnyrottin

Oct 05

johnyrottin says:

Team Redneck

Ben and Colin have my full support.  They couldn't have chosen a more amiable and capable crew to develop that bike and go fast!  You fully deserve the ride you were given.  I like James but he had the opportunity to make things happen and it did not pan out for him.  No person can take his riding abilities away from him but when you get into the big leagues you perform or you get replaced...simple.  I wish Toseland, you, and Colin the best of luck this coming season!  Prepare for some great racing!

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Impressive

He certainly showed the 250 boys the way round at the end-of-season test.

It'll be fascinating seeing who can get the upper hand over the season.

Reply to this Topic
jbond

Aug 02

jbond says:

Hayden?

Let's not forget that Hayden went straight from Superbike to MotoGP and has won a championship. Or that both Hodgson and Xaus were royally screwed by the system. And arguably, Edwards and Vermeulen were too.

Reply to this Topic
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Someone to cheer on

The American racing scene for 2010 looks pretty bleak over here. The current organizers - DMG, have screwed everyone. Now no decent purses. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Dec/091202purseinfo.htm So, my interest will be on how the Americans will fare in MotoGP. It does seem strange though that we do not have any "Yanks" in SBK!

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Fiat won't let him beat factory Yamahas

I would love to see Ben have a mega season but he is right to talk his prospects down. For one thing when did you last see a satelite team beat the full factory squad? Exactly, it will never be allowed to happen. He will bag two or three podiums I reckon. Any more than that would mean he was beating either Lorenzo or Rossi and if he does that Fiat will start jumping up and down.

Reply to this Topic
ichabod

Jan 09

ichabod says:

notsomuchofahero

On top of my head...2005 Melandri was runner up to Rossi on the movistar (gresini) honda beating the full honda factory squad (Biaggi & Hayden). Just one example.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

The Great Hope

I hope Spies can make the GP bike work for him , theres surely no doubting his class and skill , when His bike held together He made the rest of the Superbike field look average .Not sure what quality of bike he'll get ,theyre very complicated now .Call me a cynic but I think Ivebeenthehero has a point about not being allowed to beat the Fiat team . Itd be nice to hear something other than Italian and Spanish nationalist Anthems

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Yamahas

Of course Spies will be allowed to be in front of the factory Yams if he and the bike are capable which they could well be during the second part of the season.If it came down to winning the championship then team orders would probably apply!

Reply to this Topic
bigoltool

Nov 05

bigoltool says:

Rules are going to be big!

The Engine rule will have a major effect on the outcome next season. First they will all likely be detuned from current levels. Which should bunch up things mid pack more than ever. Secondly it will increase corner speeds even further to compensate for lost acceleration and speed. And Third it will favor those who are capable of taking care of the equipment and staying out of trouble. The hot heads who go barging around like a proverbial bull in a china shop will get nowhere next year. Crash and fill your engine with sand and your weekends (3 technically) shot. Fill someone elses engine with sand you might just get shot!!!

I am truly pesimistic about this engine rule. To get three full race weekends out of a motor at this level is ridiculous. I know proddy racers who dont go that long before at least tending to the top end between races. If a racer had an insurmountable lead in the championship would they then have the freedom to take the points hit in lieu of a new engine for the race???

Spies will do just fine. He is a very infrequent crasher and usually takes care of the equipment (except maybe clutches or shift linkages). Some of the more sporadic guys may find it a bit tougher than in years past.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices