Skip to content

Riding & events How to re-register your bike abroad Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Touring & travel > How to re-register your bike abroad

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply



Nov 06

Posts: 1113

admin says:

How to re-register your bike abroad

A place in the sun for you and your bike is a tempting prospect. But if you do decide to relocate to the sunny south of France be prepared for plenty of paperwork and no little expense. The French love their bureaucracy but it is possible to take a UK-registered bike to France and re-register it there as long as the bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (03 December 2009 16:52)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Feb 10

Posts: 2

grawigz says:

buying in france

before i moved over to france permanently i decided to sell my uk model and buy here there are a few good websites advertising but i find the best to be " " i have bought a couple of bikes off there and it is possible to search all of france or just by dept

Reply to this Topic


Dec 11

Posts: 11

vachequipis says:

Bikes after 2002 will need a certificate of conformity (CoC). It is best to get this from the manufacturers Bitish representative. There is not (at time of writing) an equivalent of a MOT,controle tecnique, for bikes in France. It is up to the manufacturer to verify the bike is road legal. You can really get screwed! Harley France wanted 800 euros worth of changes to my standard Sportster when the only part needed was a new headlamp lens. If you don't do as they say you don't get the CoC. Fortunately the nice people at Harley in Cheltenham posted a UK CoC for a fraction of the cost. I have heard Triumph France are as bad! Bikes over 30 years old are easier, you just need to contact ffve who will send you forms to fill out regarding frame and engine numbers to verify the age of the bike. they will then send a certifiate that can be used to register the bike as classic vehicle. For some reason Bikes often are cheaper in the UK than France more so second hand. As mentioned above is the best place to look but be prepared to have a good old laugh at how much some people value scrapyard fodder!

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices