Skip to content

Discuss This NEC Bike Show a success but visitor numbers down 17% General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > NEC Bike Show a success but visitor numbers down 17%

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Lauar Kennerley  says:

NEC Bike Show a success but visitor numbers down 17%

The NEC bike show has been hailed a success despite visitor numbers falling by almost 24,000. This year just 110,974 people visited the 10-day Birmingham-based show in contrast to 134,465 last year. But this shortfall is in line with organisers’ expectations and hasn’t stopped some manufacturers like Norton having a great show and making dozens of sales. Finlay McAllan, managing director...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 December 2009 15:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bluenoseboy

Dec 09

bluenoseboy says:

The good bits for me were free bike parking under cover, free entry for children, the Nick Sanders motorcycle cinema, the Bikelight Zone (free enrty for kids 10 and under)  and free entry to the supercross warm up.

The bad bits were Honda, Ducati and Harley Davidson - where were you??

The other bad bit was the Suzuki off-road experience - they closed down for a 1 hour lunch break but their idea of an hour and mine are very different.

Overall it was not as good or as big as last year.  My 10 year old enjoyed it but if it shrinks any further I wont be going next year.

Reply to this Topic
keithrob

Nov 07

keithrob says:

n.e.c

you know its going to be crap,when they start telling you ,months ahead,its going to be bigger and better,IT NEVER IS,is it. entry price  goes up, and stands and manufacturers get less,well now the nec is getting less people going in, does that not tell you something

Reply to this Topic
bradus1401

Nov 09

bradus1401 says:

Dissapointing

I decided that as I had missed last years bike show and as the racing season had finished I would give it another go this year. I took the girlfriend as she had never been before and she enjoyed the day out, I howver was very dissapointed, how can they call it a bike show when Ducati, Hona, and Harley Davidson didnt attend these are three of the biggest names???? Anyway aside from that it was ok I suppose it was what you made of it, I wont ever be going again though as it was daylight robbery and overhall very DISSAPOINTING!!!

Reply to this Topic
dazfuller

Oct 07

dazfuller says:

Great day

Took my dad for a day out to the show and we both really enjoyed it, it was great to see the British manufacturers out and shining and the absence of Honda and Harley-Davidson wasn't really an issue in my mind. It was a shame that even though Ducati showed up they only had a tiny stand with a couple of bikes on it, maybe next year though.

Reply to this Topic
seanogorman1

Aug 06

seanogorman1 says:

Why?

I wonder why numbers are falling ?

would it be anything to do with.......

having to pay to park and pay to get in ? (offer free bike parking in the middle of winter knowing full well people will come in cars)

over priced and woefull catering facilities (i went two years ago and paid 8 quid for a burger and tea)

and for the icing on the cake move it from the end of october to the end of november when everyone needs their money for xmas shopping!

all of this above is the best sure fire recipie for success ive ever seen !

and if that wasnt bad enough...

manufacturers dont turn up because they know its rubbish

Reply to this Topic
Richard T

Aug 07

Richard T says:

How to get it wrong -

Too expensive and too late (or early?)

October half-term should be the absolute latest date before Xmas - or why not have it in Feb/March (pref school hols) when people are thinking about a new bike for the spring, and new kit to go with it?

Left over stuff from the previous season can easily be sold on line. Most of the population are out of reach of a big retailer, so it's more important if you're paying full price for new season's gear to be able to see, feel and try a good selection - in SPRING! As someone else said earlier, in the run-up to Christmas we've all got other priorities, so can make do with info in the magazines.

Reply to this Topic
bestd955

Feb 05

bestd955 says:

To expensive

I usually go every other year to the show, however not this year.

To expensive, no student discount,( mature student)  expensive parking, major manufacturers missing, and the price of fuel to get there.(about £30), for about 2 hours worth of walking round stalls selling the usual BMF left over tat.

And to top it all who wants to go to a bike show in a car, i know fair weather and all that but to travel 300 plus miles in winter is no fun, i have done it and make the choice not to now.

Reply to this Topic
gopher1st

Aug 02

gopher1st says:

Shite show

i only live down the road and have been going for many years, i have also been going to excel in london over the last 3 years, not really for the show but to meet friends.

they are put on the wrong time of the year we want them in the summer with lower admission and free bike parking. the rents for the traders could also be lowered to encourage them back.

but i am suspicious that the industry is pushing the excel show as this seems to be getting more support from bike traders as the support for the nec show appears to be diminishing as time goes on.

i wont be going to excel this year and will see how the nec fairs next year

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle