Skip to content

Discuss This MCN ends lost licence chaos General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN ends lost licence chaos

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

MCN ends lost licence chaos

MCN has ensured no more motorcyclists need lose their licence to DVLA cock-ups by rewriting the government agency’s policy on licence renewals. DVLA bosses have agreed to immediately implement an MCN proposal that old licences be returned to riders when replacements are issued. It means that if motorcycle entitlement is missing from the new licence, riders will have the old one...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (08 December 2009 10:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

well done MCN

... let's just hope that the DVLA can follow the new rules and apply some common sense .... can't say I'm too optimistic but let's give it a go.

nedd - last photos I saw of Donny shows it to be in a pretty sorry state - Goddards down to the Old Hairpin looked like an opencase mine with the groundworks well advanced for the track extension.  since the work stopped and the monsoon weather of the last month or so, i dread to thing what's happened to the exposed groundworks.  other parts of the track have also been ripped up - I've read that it's going to take £2 million just to return it into a useable circuit.  bummer.

as for Silverstone, (1) I didn't realise that Northamptonshire was 'down south' - last time I looked it was in the East Midlands (2) the British Government will never invest directly in motorsport - that's why the F1 British Grand Prix has been such a pantomine off track for the last couple of years.  Westminster has only paid for the A43 upgrade back in 2001 - and that also improved links to the M1 and M40 and wasn't solely a Silverstone-driven project (3) do you blame the BRDC for being determined to get MotoGP just over a year ago, when they had the very real prospect of losing the F1 race?!!  simple economics, plus Dorna was fed up with crap facilities and poor access at Donny, so it suited both parties.  now that Silverstone has the F1 for 10 to 17 years, yes, i think the prospects for MotoGP going anywhere else are pretty slim - once the shiny new pit lane, paddock and corporate hospitality (plus hopefully some permanent grandstands) are ready for 2011, why on earth would MotoGP want to go back to Donny?  (4) sad to say, but Brands has zero chance of hosting MotoGP (even though it is in Kent - which is 'down south', next to the M20).  a combination of sevenoaks district council and the tree-hugger fraternity will put paid to any substantial circuit improvements that would allow the GP bikes to race there.  and i wouldn't assume that Brands are an automatic shoe-in for WSB if Donny isn't available next year.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

Credit where its due

Well done MCN. The potential costs and agonising you have saved bikers with this change is huge. You deserve a medal.

Will they do the same for other license categories? I have heard of people losing HGV categories which cost even more to get again.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

DVLA

Well done MCN, but look guys - If the DVLA are so stupid and arrogant to not sort things out when they make a mistake with your licence, do you really think that when things go wrong you will actually receive your old licence? The burden of proof re. your licence lies with you, and the DVLA are not interested in you. So before you send it off, find a way to prove the information it contains.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hondasixrr

Dec 05

Hondasixrr says:

Scan

I had to renew my photo id licence recently & I just scanned my old licence before I sent it off..

I wasn't taken any chances

Reply to this Topic
timydg

Dec 09

timydg says:

Licence renew

Dont know what all the fuss is about. I just renewed mine and if you read the form carefully it states that you dont have to send your old licence back you just tick the box "lost" and it costs the same amount 20 quid. Mine returned ok and i still have my old one. I personally would not trust DVLA to return my old licence no matter what the agreement hang no to it!!!

Reply to this Topic
daveyboy79

Feb 09

daveyboy79 says:

My licence has been back and forth to the DVLA 5 times in the last 4 years, bike test, 3 house moves and adding Class 2 HGV entitlement, thankfully it's been correct every time.  Its probably right on their computer too because I didn't need to send off my licence when I applied for my digital tacho and they won't issue one of those unless you have the right catagory entitlements.

I'm guessing this problem effects people with the old UK pink licences and anyone with the euro green and/or photocard licences aren't effected or am I wrong on this one and was just very lucky?

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Well Done

Well Done MCN

Credit where credit is due ! at least you put some pressure on the arrogant bosses at the DVLA and if this means only one person not having to re take his test it was worth the effort

Its all very well for the people who get there licence back in full order but it Must be hell for the poor people who don't especially if there employment is relying on them having a particular part on the licence and they find it has been removed without trace , this was unacceptable and had to stop

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
barryvfr800

Nov 05

barryvfr800 says:

DVLA

Stop patting yourself on the back! the DVLA have allowed you to hang on to your old licence for quite a while now. I was aboutto renew my licence on line 12 months ago, but took the precaution of calling DVLA first, the lady I spoke to told me I could hang on to my old licence until it could be checked against the new one and then to send it in when I was satisfied.

Reply to this Topic
sjtscott

Aug 02

sjtscott says:

DVLA statement confirming this?

MCN whilst I've no reason to doubt you, since the DVLA should have implemented the new scheme is there any official statement from them stating/confirming this? Maybe on direct.gov or dvla site? I haven't obviously been able to find anything.

Could one of the MCN staff please 'check' if there is an offical dvla statement on this or ever likely to be please?

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

mcn

oh yes praise to mcn for they can part the waves and feed a loaf of bread from sainsbury`s to 5 billion people!!................get lost u bunch of self promoting idiot`s

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices