Skip to content

Discuss This 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere spy pictures New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere spy pictures

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

2010 Yamaha Super Tenere spy pictures

MCN has obtained leaked spy images showing the new 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere in production form for the first time. Yamahas for sale Greek website motorsite.gr was given the set of three images by a mystery Yamaha insider, who took pictures of a scale model designed to show the bike’s design before a completed production machine was available. Yes, it’s made of plastic...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 December 2009 10:08)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Is it me..?

Or is it daft to offer off-road pretensions with a 1200cc twin cylinder motor? OK, so Yamaha want to compete with the huge, and hugely successful Beemer, but c'mon Japan, that boat has sailed! There's hundreds of thousands of Giant Trailie Beemers out there in sizes ranging from 800 through 1,000, 1,100 and 1,200cc and I don't think I've ever met a Beemerphile who wanted to trade back to a Yam after `going German...` What about simply updating the styling and package on the TDM900? That is one of the unsung heroes of bikedom and with tastily refreshed `look and feel` offering a bit more off-road, i.e wire wheels and the Yamaha version of the KTM vertical screen it could easily compete with the only off-road Beemer worth targeting - the F800GS.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Who was the spy who took the pictures, Ray Charles? And what were they using!? Next to worthless. I agree with snave, a smaller capacity would be far more usable, a 900 version of the Versys, YES PLEASE.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Why on earth are they not

following the lead of the dedicated Supertenere fans who have been putting TDM/TRX 850 and TDM 900 engines in the old XTZ Supertenere, an updated modern version of that is what is required, modern styling, handling and suspension with a sub 1000cc engine and reasonable weight. Yamaha had tremendous success in the Paris-Dakar with the 850/750 twins, they should be looking to KTMs ideas not BMW, even BMW only used a 900 for the P-D in their most recent attempts.

It's like wanting to buy a Land Rover and only being able to get blinged up Range Rovers.

Come on Yamaha, at least offer a stripped down lightweight version without all the gimmicks, my TDM is capable of most things I want, but the ability to ride down Motorways/Dual carriageways and then take to the dirt is what these bikes were originally built to do, yes Ewan and Charlie did get around the world and to the bottom of Africa, but they would have been pinned to the ground much less frequently on a modern lightweight Superten, Yamaha fans have been waiting 15 years for this bike! Don't mess it up!

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Amen to that!

And lets not also forget that sub-litre bikes are generally cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and cheaper to insure than the larger capacities. Have Yamaha not heard there's a recesssion on - one would have thought their recent business results would have reminded them quite forcefully? What we need is 100mpg more than 100 horsepower, 400 mile range rather than 1200 cubic centimetres, and a base-level package that can be `blinged` buy the purchaser to best suit their requirements, and which can also drive return business to the showroom floor. It's time for a new way of thinking. And this ain't it. C'mon Yamaha, you've opened new markets before. A prototype 600cc engine with electric motor assist already exists. Why ain't it in an offroader or overlander chassis? At the mo it looks just like a KTM with shaft drive...

Reply to this Topic
MrRock

May 09

MrRock says:

Kids toy?

Come on MCN come clean, that picture is actually a 1/16 air fix kids model ain't it?  It's probably one of the worst 'spy pics' I've seen.  Surely it would have been better to have just posted a pic question mark instead of that picture?  I mean, it doesn't have me creaming my pants wanting more information.  It's just another boring looking rambler for people who like long walks in the hillside but are too lazy to walk!

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

to MrRock

It says so in the article, yes it is a reduced scaled model. The only spy shots that are clean are those volontarily leaked by the manufacturers usually. This is probably an employee who took a snapshot with a cell phone, still gives a good idea of the bike in my opinion.

"Greek website motorsite.gr was given the set of three images by a mystery Yamaha insider, who took pictures of a scale model designed to show the bike’s design before a completed production machine was available."

Reply to this Topic
gjw1992

Dec 05

gjw1992 says:

Well, I like it ...

Insurance on a 1200 versus a 900 would be a concern - but only minor. One of these with a decent capacity top box might not be cool, but I'd happily consider one. Decent local yam dealer - Flitwick - and it's not a beemer which nowadays is too much of a concern.

Reading the paper mcn - I can only hope Yamaha can survive their financial crisis and can then look at more modest versions of this super ten to keep everyone happy. And maybe consider a soft tourer with this engine along the lines of the beemer f800st

Reply to this Topic
tomlloydy

Mar 09

tomlloydy says:

Exhaust is horrible, like they all are these days. When will they learn? Some of them look like their off somthing else!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices