Skip to content

Discuss This MotoGP poised to confirm 1000cc switch MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > MotoGP poised to confirm 1000cc switch

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

MotoGP poised to confirm 1000cc switch

MotoGP bosses are expected to approve a switch to a 1000cc capacity limit at crunch meetings in Switzerland tomorrow (Friday). Facing mounting pressure to slash costs and stop plummeting grid numbers, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta tabled a proposal to the Grand Prix Commission at the final race in Valencia last month for MotoGP to move to a cheaper 1000cc format in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 December 2009 14:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Glynn Racing

Sep 08

Glynn Racing says:

Clueless !!!!!

The issue here is not what capacity the bikes will be as development costs will not be much different whether it is 800 or 1000. We have Moto GP and WSB and the pot of cash is not big enough to cover both, however what is missing the most is what coverage (TV etc) and what value are the fans getting ? well by cutting back on practice sessions and qualifying, not a lot so things go from bad to worse.

Surely there should be one premier class of motorcycle racing and I am convinced that 1000cc WSB bikes agaist 800cc Moto GP bikes could mix it if the field was made fair with electronics etc.

Oh and I am sure the grids would be full and the sponsors would be smiling. ( I would anyway)

Reply to this Topic
ChappyR1

Oct 02

ChappyR1 says:

This could work....

By having a fully prototype chassis, with a production "based" engine, it would fill the grid. Just look at how many teams are entering Moto2 next year. There are lots of chassis experts around the world, but not many engine manufacturers, which just shows where the cost is. Making and developing an engine from scratch takes millions, buying them and tuning them doesn't.

WSB and MotoGP together? Just think how many teams would disappear though. Why would Yamaha, Ducati and Suzuki run more than one factory team each?

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

er, GlynnRacing

I would say that 1000cc WSB bikes agaist 800cc Moto GP bikes is counter productive. The only WSBK teams that would have a chance are the factory backed ones and NO WAY would they get said factory support racing against THE FACTORIES themselves in a come on come all class. How the hell could Yamaha justify it's prototype if it got beat by a kitted up R1? Why would a manufacture spend the money on 2 different kinds of bikes in the same class? There would be no support for the WSBK teams thus they would go away. We would be back where we started.

Reply to this Topic
mrdata

Aug 02

mrdata says:

Brilliant: It didn't work before so lets do it again, but lets also invite a lawsuit from WSB by using production-derived engines.

Spec. engines from multiple manufacturers would fill the grids, not half-assed WSB wannabes.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

I like the new proposals

This way a privateer is not at the mercy of a factory to provide them with bikes. They can manufacture or buy a chassis (like Moto2) and use a production derived engine. Of course it wouldn't change the status quo of factories winning all the time because they have the money and resources but surely some  privateers will be competitive. The aim is not to balance the competition (this is racing you know) but to cut cost for privateers and expand grid sizes.

Reply to this Topic
Hondasixrr

Dec 05

Hondasixrr says:

Why 1000cc?

I don't get why they need 1000cc engines.
Doesn’t matter how big the grid is because Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo, & Pedrosa will still be at the sharp end.
It will cost more again to start with the 1000cc again surely

Reply to this Topic
1000TT

Mar 08

1000TT says:

1000's

Back to the 990's please, V5's, V4's, straights,. They are already developed, already on the pace, and with the new chassis' and electronics in the last few years they can be governed or let loose to suit Dorna, IRTA and the FIM. Costs way down, existing proven engine design, existing chassis design (using a variant of the 800 chassis), existing electronics! It's almost there already or will Dorna and Co not be prepared to wind their necks in and go back a step or two to keep the riders and fans happy. Imagine a V5 990 in the 800 chassis with the new electronics..ooohh I can hear them thrashing around Silverstone flat out...Get it on Dorna, it's easy.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
daveyboy79

Feb 09

daveyboy79 says:

And a return to a 990 (or a switch to 1000cc) could possibly be the ticket for a successful WSBK rider to cut it in MotoGP again, because we all know what seems to happen to SBK riders on the 800cc gp bikes.

Reply to this Topic
hondagixer

Aug 02

hondagixer says:

i bet rossi is rubbing his hands together at this news.considering only 1 year of the 1000cc motogp era he was never champion.

plenty of backing into the corners bring it now.

Reply to this Topic
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

Keeping costs down

Really very simple actually.  Here's my proposal:  You can run any displacement you like.  There will be no minimum weight requirment; use carbon fiber for every part if you like.  Use prototype engines or production-based engines; again, whatever you fancy.  Electronics?  Sure bring it on. 

Now for the two rules that will allow costs to stay low in this environment:

1) Twenty litres of fuel per race, no exceptions; and

2) After the race any competitor can buy your racebike (claim rule) for say 50,000 pounds stirling. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices