Skip to content

Discuss This Mat Mladin linked to WSB ride with BMW World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Mat Mladin linked to WSB ride with BMW

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Mat Mladin linked to WSB ride with BMW

Seven times AMA Superbike champion Mat Mladin could be poised for a sensational switch to WSB in 2010. The 37 year old Australian who retired at the end of the 2009 season has been linked with a second BMW Superbike team to race in World Superbike. Speculation started earlier this week when Mladin tweeted the following message: “A couple of world superbike offers...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 December 2009 14:55)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
scatterbrained

Oct 09

doesn't seem likely, but possible. . .

Matt is reaching that age where your body starts slowing down real fast.  Aproaching 40 and trying to run with guys in there 20s is no small feat, to have been able to run with and challenge Spies for the championship on the same machinery is incredible. I would love to see Matt in WSBK. I think that he would enjoy it despite the traveling.  One thing that people don't realize is that he was heavily harassed by DMG, to the point where they would do a complete  tear down of his bike in tech every time he went out. That sort of thing wears a man down. 90 tear downs last season was what I recall the number being.  I think the more fair and mature atmospere of WSBK would allow him to enjoy racing again.

If he does come back I would see him doing a few wild cards for Yoshmura as more likely than BMW. That being said, we've all seen how hard it can be for an athlete to retire when he's still on top. Brett Farve, Micheal Jordan, Nolan Ryan. Colin Edwards keeps pushing his retirement back.  Even Troy Bayliss last season was rumored to be thinking about a comeback.  Either way, I'd love to see him back out on track, keepin em honest as it were.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

WWB - Mat a Septic Tank?

I reckon you'd get a good old fashioned Aussie Croatian serve for that call! Yeah I reckon you're right with the attention seeking noise. Mat does have business interests in Oz too - Mat Mladin Imports - so maybe they'll return there? I remember reading about his early years through the Australian MCN. He came off a dominating year of RGV250 proddies - pretty cut throat class in Oz - to ride a beast of a ZXR750 the following year and annihilate the field. This is what the really talented few do. A bike that then AMCN editor Ken (Woose) Wootton test rode. The Woose came in after his test stint white and shaking with fear at the vicious throttle delivery of the ZXR. Those two years earn't my respect and admiration. And we all know the rest.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Damn customers

Got in the way and the computer forgot who I was!

Reply to this Topic
Glynn Racing

Sep 08

Glynn Racing says:

Where is The Stig 08

Come back fella as it`s all a bit tame at the moment.

Reply to this Topic
Popski

Feb 09

Popski says:

I seem to remember Mladin performing lacklustre outings in the UK many years ago, a small fish in a big pond springs to mind.

Reply to this Topic
travis73

Jun 07

travis73 says:

Clarity...

Ok as an Aussie who has lived in the UK for 4 years (yes alot less than Matt in the US) it doesnt matter how long i'm here i'll always be an Aussie and i've no doubt Matt feels the same.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that in Spies last year in teh AMA, Matt won more races but Spies got the Championship. So naturally he must be thinking he could get a race win.

Suzuki used to get him to test the 500 2 stroke in the off season and within 1 day he was circulating with 1 second of qualifying times. (or near abouts, please correct me) Not bad for a 4 stroke racer on a much lighter bike.

Nostrodamus / anonymoussays is spot on. What he did as a youngster on the RGV and ZXR was freaky. His out right lap record and 1 track in Oz - Mallala - was only beaten in the last year or 2 or 3. Not bad.

I hope he does go to WSB. But i'd rather see him on the bike he made... the GSXR (someone comented that that was the reason he won... Urm Doohan and the Honda). But at any rate. Bring it on mate. I'm sure he'll make a few boys like silly. (i just hope he learns tracks as quick a Spies) And he is a true competitor and mad nutter.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Poppycock Popski

I'm far from certain but nonetheless intrigued by these mythical UK rides that Mladin had in the UK according to you. Christ he didn't even start the 1993 Brit GP with Cagiva. Pray tell exactly to what and to where do you refer?

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Travis is right - sorta ...

Nostro, as you and I both know -  the " haters " &  knockers are best described in the old Simon & Garfunkel song, The Boxer ... " all lies and jests, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest ". You simply cannot rationalise with those that don't want to hear or see. Small, closed minds. Look at Casey Stoner and all the negative myth and sheer bullshit heaped on the poor little sod! Methinks too, Popski has been partaking of contaminated water from his small pond and this has affected his recall. Travis, my man - you are pretty well right: Mladin DID win more races than Spies and was adversely affected by the morons running AMA SBK. How often do you see it that someone stands up to "authority " - who then target all their power and influence against the " messenger  "? Mladin had results disallowed and a series of tear-downs and engine checks etc etc in numerous, despicable attempts to silence his criticism of the organisers. These were eventually overruled in successful appeals by Mladin's team. Despite all this, Mladin says his last few years racing against Spies were the most enjoyable of his long and uber-successful career. That he and Spies respect each other shines through - along with my previous comments that a " discouraged & bored " Mladin would very probably have carried on without this constant " interference "... For his comments on all these matters and Spies etc - I again refer you to an article ( very recent this time ) that expands on all this. The blogs following are also interesting - one sad    " hater " followed by numerous character testimonials to Mladin and his relationship with fans. Good stuff. See :    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/475/4584/Motorcycle-Article/Mat-Mladin-Exit-Interview.aspx

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Mladin

As I understood it Mladin failed at world level after showing promise , but if the facts and results say thats bollocks , then fair enough . I know Mladin dominated racing in the US.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Only doing it for the Money

And if he does bad (he will ) he can always blame the under developed bike !

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices