Skip to content

Discuss This Not sure which bus lanes you can use? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Not sure which bus lanes you can use?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Lester Wilde  says:

Not sure which bus lanes you can use?

I have lived in central London for years, moved out to the suburbs about 4 years ago. I have been fully aware of bus lanes being made open to motorbikes. Now here's the rub, I went out for a spin on my Aprila on my birthday in October and I recently got a £120 fine for riding in a bus lane. On further investigation I...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 December 2009 10:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nwlondoner

Jan 08

nwlondoner says:

Motorcycles in Bus Lanes

The current Transport for London (TfL) motorcycles in bus lanes trial is only on red routes (and doesn't even include all red route bus lanes). All bus lanes that motorcycles & scooters are permitted to use display the motorbike symbol on the bus lane signs.

You can find out more about the TfL motorcycle in bus lanes trial (and complete the online survey) here: www.tfl.gov.uk/motorcyclesinbuslanes

There are also some other London councils that allow motorcycles in some of their bus lanes, including the City of Westminster, the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames and the London Borough of Ealing.

So, for now at least, the only way to know for sure that you are allowed in a bus lane is to constantly check the signs. This is far from ideal (in fact I think it's rather dangerous) but until the TfL trial is complete, I don't think any other London boroughs will be opening up their bus lanes to bikes as they must be making a killing from all the confusion.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

London

LONDON buss lanes are open to bikes. As London is basically, anything inside the M25, I thought ALL London bus lanes are open....

Ps. Your motorbike's taxation class is "Bicycle". So you can use any bus lane....

Reply to this Topic
dryfish

Aug 09

dryfish says:

Habit

I used to commute on the A23 into London and motorcycles have been able to use some of the bus lanes there for long before the red route scheme - I've now got into the habit of looking for bus lane signs which comes in very handy when there's no motorcycle shown but its out of hours and people are still avoiding that lane. I also don't think I would have noticed the bus lanes in Reading where motorcycles are allowed otherwise.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices