Skip to content

Riding & events How to get the most mpg from your bike Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > How to get the most mpg from your bike

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

How to get the most mpg from your bike

Question: how do you get the most mileage for the least moolah on your bike? A) By riding as close as possible to 56mphB) By keeping the revs as low as possibleC) By riding as close as possible to the engine's peak torque Answer: C Your bike's engine is working most efficiently at the point it's making peak torque, extracting the maximum possible...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (22 December 2009 17:37)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RobboRob

Dec 09

RobboRob says:

mpg

This would be correct if were not for the huge effect of wind resistance

The most economical speed is therefore likely to be much slower.

The reason that fuel economy is measured at 56mph on cars is only becuse this is ecactly 90kmh and not because it is necessarily the most economical on cars. Again, it is often more economical in a car to drive more slowly - it varies by model of car.

Need to do a bit more research before encouraging people to ride at the wrong speed.

Reply to this Topic
wombat4

Jan 04

wombat4 says:

Max Torque & Economy

Guy I think that maybe you should reconsider this article. My GSX650F produces max torque at 8000rpm this equates to I think around 105 MPH in top. Now I know riding at this speed it does mid 40's MPG If I ride it at 70-80 MPH say 6-7000 rpm then it returns high 50's MPG. It is true that the engine will be most responsive around max torque but I think that the whole thing is a bit more complex and dependant upon throttle opening and friction, wind resistance and all those other good things. I am going to try an experiment, I will ride at 70-80 MPH but in a gear that keeps the engine around max torque probably 4th and I will measure the consumption. As a point of interest my GSXR 1000 would have to be in first to be at max torque at the legal speed limit. Also I will look up from my college days about efficiency of internal combustion engines there must be some correlation between energy input, max torque, BMEP(Brake Mean Effective Pressure)and other stuff. Anyone else have any thoughts? What I would like is a bike with an engine that develops 80ish horsepower but does 100+mpg.

Reply to this Topic
kisersozaye

Jul 08

kisersozaye says:

max torque and economy!

i ride an 08 plate truimph daytona 675 se lovely bike,fairly modern three cylinder fuel injected,all controllled by an ecu,i presume i would be able to do 59mpg in fifth gear doing around 75 mph,would like to hear from anyone who rides a truimph daytona and if you would know,when the weather gets better im going to find out!

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Agree with RobboRob

Engines run most efficiently when they are at most torque (e.g. in terms of BHP/litre) but that doesn't mean that Motor Vehicles are most efficient when driven/ridden at that speed. The problem is mainly (but not exclusively) air-resistance - the amount of power needed to keep going at a steady speed increases with something like the square of the speed and the power you use is generated by petrol.

I have a long commute (60 miles each way) and have experimented a few times speed limiting myself to see the effect. On the ER6 I normally get about 62-65mpg keeping speeds legal but if I reduced my speeds on the motorways to 60mph and the A roads to 50mph my mpg rose by about 10mpg (but the journey time and my boredom increased so much it was not sustainable).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices