Skip to content

Discuss This Andy Downes' top five bikes of the decade First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Andy Downes' top five bikes of the decade

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Andy Downes' top five bikes of the decade

Five best bikes of the decade – Andy Downes, MCN Chief Reporter 1. BMW K1300RThe bike I have just done 9000 miles on as my long term test bike this year and one that was a brilliant combination of road bike manners with a nuclear power plant of an engine. Managed to combine staggering performance with a 220 mile tank range, brilliant...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (23 December 2009 11:12)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
markeyboy

Jul 08

markeyboy says:

bike of decade

Hi Andy, rated it a5 purely because you included theSP1/2.  I have the 1 and its fantastic, did my first trackday on it this year.Totally different from riding one on the road, they were made to race!

Reply to this Topic
widz

Jan 04

widz says:

So funny.

That comment took the words out of my mouth.  Cant believe those words came from Potter though.

GSXR-1000, KTM 950 ADV, ZX-6R, RSV 1000 series' are some of the ones I think beat your chosen.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Er yes Marc

I find myself agreeing with Marc although I'm not sure the SV is eligable being launched before 2000. Being approximate with the eligability criteria my list would be:

SV650 - A real world affordable bike with a bit of class about it. Its the ducati vibe that beats the ER6-F for me (even as an nostalgic ex ER6 owner). Simmarly the New Yamaha XJ is a poor looker from some angles and the Fazer 600 is good but (alegedly) a bit gutless low down.

CBR125/ CBF125/YZF-R125 - Can't decide which one of these gets the gong. Clearly the CBR created the class, the cbf is an excellent commuter, well equiped and cheap whilst the Yam is beautiful and the best "sports" 125.

Yamaha Fazer 1000 (and possibly the CBF1000). Blindingly easy to ride bike with more than enough performance. I rode one and was stunned at how easy it was to ride and trickle through traffic (even compared to the ER6). Cheap to buy, service and insure and very versatile. Makes the VFR800 (which I love the idea of) seem pointless and expensive.

BMW R1200GS.  I can't imagine me having one because there hight scares me but I have a lot of respect for them.

Moto guzzi V7 Cafe. Its so beautiful and right, I need one and would justify it with any logic that I could find (sadly logic doesn't produce money which is tight right now).

Honerable mentions too:

Honda Deauville. yeah I know I hate them but they are the bike we should probably all use for our commute. If nothing else their build quality is astounding, they are full of sensible design and they do exactly the job we all need.

Honda CBR600F. The new one with EFI launched in 2000 onwards is a good looker and probably the all rounder I really need.

Aprilla RSV4. An amazing bike but irrelevant for the road for many of us. I'm pleased its made but wouldn't buy one even with a lottery win.

Ducati Monster. These bikes showed that you could get an exciting bike that wasn't a race replica. Frankly I would prefer a modern take on a 1980s 900ss but heh:-)

Whatever bikes you want to elect - Merry Christmas everybody

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

eeeer no

what is the thing with twins?........i`ve had a go on 2 ducati`s....and to be honest i`ve drove smoother tractors and better handling uni-cycles they are just awful,uncomfortable wrist killing,throbbing,finger numbing droners..........i would not pay a penny for any of the choices apart from perhaps the gsx-r...but then it`s suzuki so it will probably rust away before i`d even ridden it

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

My Top 5

1. Suzuki SV650s .... Mainly cos ive got 1 but my god are they the best first bike anyone, of any age, any background or any experience can get on and be touring to racing on in 3 years ... The RD250 of the Naughties....

2. 2006 Yamaha R5 ... Changed the face of the competition from the all conquering CBR600RR on track and in the showrooms. absolute insane bike when ridden with a passion and the closest many get to a racing machine.

3. Triumph Daytona 675 ... What a revelation, from a company just getting by with being the 5th best 600 bike in a group to being number 1 first time out. Great bike, mould breading and class leading. due for its next major overhaul - and you know its going to be just as epic.

4. Yeppo ... Ducati Desmosedici RR ... What everyone said wouldnt happen, happened. With new updates coming out and MotoGP changing to 1000cc road based engines ..... Desmo Mk. 2 will be out, and more keely priced ... Imagine, carbon framed V4 firebreathing GP for the road ... at £26,000???

5. 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 ... Class changing, not with massive leaps, titanium valves, better aerodynamtics and revised engine... not to mention one of the best looking GSXR of all time, but it made the ultimate bike of 2005 and whiped the WSBK floor with its badge.

Those are my top 5 bikes from 2000-2009

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

the top 5 that got me excited

1. Ducati 1098R - genuine SBK replica, full traction control, I swear it would lap the Top-Gear track faster than any 500k supercar, monster torque and power, 30-40bhp up on a Jap fours in the mid-range coming of a corner, pretty, sounds amazing, Italian exclusivity.. and for the price of an Audi TT!

2. Buell Firebolt XB12R - the American superbike. very manly tuned HD motor in 250 GP racer frame - B road heaven, quite cheap and looks great, sounds like a supercharged V8 truck.

3. Aprilia SXV550 - more agile than a house-fly, will corner faster than an Ariel Atom, mega fun at mainly legal speeds, exclusive.

4. MV Agusta F4 1078RR 312 - huge top speed, savage, brual performance - cant be ridden hard by pussys unlike most main-stream sportsbikes, the only four pot I would buy, and in the red and silver paint - the best looking machine ever created by man

5. Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - Just cool and very very black. Great-sounding, authentic American iron for 5k. May help save the motor company by attracting a younger generation who want style and value. Very pure motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices