Skip to content

Discuss This Cycle group: Don’t encourage motorcycling General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cycle group: Don’t encourage motorcycling

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Cycle group: Don’t encourage motorcycling

A cycle group has criticised a trial of motorcycles in bus lanes on the grounds it could lead to an increase in motorcycle traffic.  The London Cycling Campaign (LCC) says it ‘is concerned that the impact of this extra motor traffic will be on the whole road network, not just on the bus lane sections of the journeys’. The group takes...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (23 December 2009 13:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

had an interesting 'chat' with one on Monday

Crossing the road (green man on / red light his way) in middle of group of pedestrians and this twat clipped me as he rode through, 'unfortunately' my left foot then cuaght his rear tyre and he came off.

He got up all 5 ft 5 of him, and started to rant, called me a w4nker etc, then realised I was 6ft and 16st and quite happy to 'discuss the matter further', he declined...

tried to remount his bike and pedal off, really funny watching him and his buckled rear wheel slowly riding away...

Reply to this Topic
cjenkins

Sep 09

cjenkins says:

menace

like most people i have no problem with most cyclists. use one for training/work/family fun is all good. what gets my back up is when you come up behind them when they are 3-4 abreast across the road having a fucking chat! normally about who looks best in lycra! go to pub for a chat afterwards but on the roads get out of the fucking way!

Reply to this Topic
tectonicplate

Dec 09

I wrote to the LCC to try and encourage them to reconsider their stance on motorcycles using bus lanes. I know its in vain but they need to be aware that the issue is not black and white.

Reply to this Topic
MrButterscotch

Jul 09

Cyclist on a pavement

Pet hate of mine - cyclists on pavements.  Despite a few local shops only being around 300 metres or so from a police station, there was some tw!t on a push bike cycling down a busy pavement.  He slammed right into a group of kids, knocking one of them to the ground and leaving her with very bad bruising.  He then had the cheek to get up off the ground and start shouting at her.  Far too many cyclists behave like they own EVERWHERE (not just the road) and for some reason cheap mountain bikes seem to attract people who wear tracksuits all the time if you know what I'm saying...

Reply to this Topic
bcroninuk

Mar 09

bcroninuk says:

all cyclists are just faggots.. they should not be allowed on the roads at all.. all they do is moan, moan, moan... since they pay no road tax nor insurance they have no say IMO.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Christmas spirit?

I'm a cyclist and a motorcyclist.  Lycra, goretex and leather.  What's the problem?  it's Christmas, there is no enemy.  The LCC will is doing a great job to discredit itself, and for that we should be grateful - there's no place for biggots.

Why so many moans about cyclists?  I'm ashamed and appalled at the actions of my fellow cyclists far more often than my fellow bikers, by and large I think the complaints are justified, but just remember there are cyclists who respect red lights, pavements, pedestrians, and do zero damage to our precious roads.  We motorists theoretically pay road tax because motor transport requires far greater resources for infrastructure - roads wear out, we travel at speeds warranting crash barriers etc...  Cyclist need punishing when they transgress, not taxing.

Reply to this Topic
cascadeair

Nov 05

cascadeair says:

Shame, really

That the LCC is so selfish. They are either not well educated, nor are they paticularly nice people. The results of this test have proven, beyond a doubt, that the cycles and motorbikes can co-exist without crashes, and that the only impediment to bus traffic are the deliberate middle of the road riding practices of the cyclist. They make no effort to share the road with anyone, and are intent upon retaking the bus lanes for themselves, regardless of the evidence presented. The use of the lanes has been a boon to me, and I don't drive my car anymore to work. It is NOT an envirnmental issue with them, it is a pig-selfish movement.

Reply to this Topic
superarnold

Dec 09

superarnold says:

The way I see it

@bcroninuk: Like to see you try and use that in a court of law. Daftest post I've ever read on here (and prompting me to register)

The way I see it the LCC is responding to its members concerns and conflicts. If everything was Hunkydory in London then there would be no problem. I've been down there a few times and the whole traffic system is joke, its not just cyclists and motorcyclists, its everyone. I went to cross on a pedestrian crossing outside the V&A and was nearly levelled by a taxi that refused to yield to the greenman.

If the scheme is to work then it needs bikers to show everyone that they are truly the knights of the road.

Reply to this Topic
MrButterscotch

Jul 09

Taxi running a red

@superarnold - did you get the reg number of the taxi that almost ran you over?  You need to report stuff like that.  Next time it could be a kid walking across the road who isn't so lucky.

Reply to this Topic
hypermarket

Dec 09

hypermarket says:

We have a common enemy.

As a 25 year long cyclist, who has only recently taken up the M/bike, I can honestly say I have never had any kind of a run in or bad words with any motorcyclist.Your/our pollution in traffic jams is minimal,and if i do burst red lights etc on a push bike it's to avoid the shit that comes out of the cars and buses and to keep a flow going, it being hard work getting a cycle up to speed again, and never when it can endanger or frighten a pedestrian. I have never been t boned by a motorbike, or to be honest, even really noticed as you zoom by.Our common enemy is the car. Get a grip guys!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices