Skip to content

Discuss This Engineer defection no concern to Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Engineer defection no concern to Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Engineer defection no concern to Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi has brushed off the impact of two key Yamaha engineers defecting to Honda in 2010. Christian Battagglia and Andrea Zugna will move to HRC with intimate knowledge of the YZR-M1 that Honda hopes will help transform its factory RC212V next season. Rossi though denied being overly worried that the transfer would significantly weaken Yamaha and strengthen Honda in 2010. "It is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 December 2009 12:25)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

compliment to rossi

Ha. Rossi developed and perfected the rc211v for them and it looks like they have finally aknowledged that by basically hiring him to sort out their latest misadventure. It sounds like they are going to use rossi's data to fine tune their bike and make it  into a "sweet ride".  Honda's bike will be fast next year and dani will finally be a contender. im picking him to be runner up to the doctor. Honda only likes to have the best and its a nice homage to rossi even though its not intended to be

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I dont know what they can bring to Honda, engine wise the two bikes are miles apart in charecteristics, the Honda being a V4 and Yamaha's an inline 4

Reply to this Topic
scatterbrained

Oct 09

I thought. . . . .

I thought that the engineers that defected were from Lorenzos garage, not Rossi's. Not that it would matter as they would still have access to the same info and were working on the same bike, but if that were the  case then Rossi would still have his core team and everyone would be up to speed.

As far the bikes being different that doesn't matter. What matters are the things that Yamaha has tried and what was learned. What problems did they encounter and how were those problems overcome. This info is invaluable to Honda and others.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

billy 1967

your right mate the engines are completely different.  I dont think that is the problem though. hondas engine seems to be fine if a bit aggressive. Where they are lacking is stability on the brakes, turn in and corner exit; all things that rossi and company seem to have sorted out

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Rossi

Not going to make much difference who leaves or stays as Stoner is going to win most of the races anyway and the championship!!!!!!!!! The only difference it might make is to whom is going to be the runner up!!

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

2010 DEVELOPMENT

After Rossi & Jorge both had a shortened test on the 2010 bikes following the Valencia season ending GP the input from possibly 2 of the best crop of current riders will have gone back to the Yamaha engineers in Japan for action. With the new rules for 2010 ie 6 engines for the entire 18 race season longevity will be uppermost in everyones mind and with this in mind the outcome of the factory fettling probably has not been implemented so the harm that might have been done with the defection might not have too much of a negative effect. Coupled with this the input from the new engineers might in the long term view be quite valuable as fresh minds and ideas come to the fore. Only time will tell and I personally do not see this event having a very noticeable overall effect to the top team in MotoGp. Ciao

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Old news???

Hmmmmm? I am sure I read about all this not long after the Valencia test, same quote "the world is full of good engineers", just a hint of Valentino is the irreplaceable part of the winning formula. To a point rightly so. I know it is the dead season on the news desk but the past few weeks I have had way too many "deja vu" moments in this illustrious bike news medium. As far as the article goes my opinion is that Honda may gain some useful information from their poaching escapade. I don't think it will make it a title threatening difference though. Pedrosa would require a technical breakthrough as significant as his suitability to the works 250 he used to dominate that category back in the day. Seems a long time ago now..... I will give him the benefit of the doubt and make him a bid of one extra win in 2010. So he will win 3...... thats it though.

Reply to this Topic
stompmyduke

Mar 08

stompmyduke says:

Engineers

Getting hold of a couple of engineers from Yamaha will make no difference to Honda. Neither of these guys will know much about the 2010 bike, the prototype of which has  barely been tested by Rossi and Lorenzo. What they need is a rider and chief engineer who can develop a bike - the names Rossi and Burgess spring to mind (or even Furusawa himself). Anyway, according to Eddy998, Stoner will win most of the races next year, though how he works that out defeats me. Ducati have a totally new engine next year of the irregular firing variety, and this means less power, especially in long-life form. It has run well in tests, but Colin Edwards will tell you that first in tests does not equate to first in races. Equally, winning races after a nice holiday and while the main protagonists are after nicking points, is not the basis for winning the next world championship. We also have to remember that some great new talent is coming to MGP, and while they may not win, their presence will certainly upset the form book (bad news for Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo). Can't wait for it !!

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

Hmmmm

Wait a moment, did'nt Jerry Burgess leave Honda with Valentino, hmmm. How much knowledge did they take with them, considering "chief engineer"

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

I agree with duke. stoner is obviously a great rider, but he did have a nice little "vacation" and had nothing to lose where rossi had to be careful not to blow it.  I do think that the engineers defecting will help honda as they need some new input, but i dont think it will hurt yamaha as they have their "core " intact still. On a completely different note I may be crazy but it strikes me that the easiest way to lower costs and allow the bikes to tame their power better would be to increase the fuel load by one litre back to how it was in 06. More fuel would mean that the bikes wouldnt have to run so lean. This would not only make electronics less necessary (to tame the agressive power delivery caused by a lean running bike) but it would also prolong engine life as the engines would run smoother with a richer fuel mix. One litre of fuel would single handedly save moto gp.Cool eh!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices