You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Touring Scotland

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

waynecapell

Jul 05

waynecapell says:

Touring Scotland

Me, the wife and our two daughters are going touring in Scotland in the summer.  Has anyone got any good roads to ride, places to visit and see,  B+B's to stop at, etc.  I am planning going up on the east side doing the north road from John O'Groats going west then cooming back down on the west.  We will be traveling from Yorkshire.  Any help and ideas would be great

BMW F800GS

BMW R1150GS

:tongue:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 January 2010 10:04)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevielad

Jan 10

stevielad says:

Touring Scotland.

I too plan to tour Scotland and I'm told all the roads are good.

But I'm not going in July or August because of the Scottish Curse....the midges!

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

wayne

Try Kamchat.  He lives in Glasgow and knows muchly about the highlands.

Reply to this Topic
casbiker

Sep 07

casbiker says:

Wayne

You'll love Scotland, you'll love the roads & you will learn to love the rain & midges. Avon do a product to counteract the midges & Hein Gericke can help with the rain :lol:  My advice to you Wayne, for what its worth is to go up towards the west side first. Across the A66 north on the A74/M74, ride along side of Loch Lomand. You must visit Skye! Visit Loch Carron (biker freindly pub/b&b & from Yorkshire) You MUST do the Applecross run. The coast road from Ullapool to JoG, superb! Views absolutely stunning. The east side is very different and not as pretty. You will have no trouble at all finding good quality b&b's. So many musts. May & June best months & id avoid the A1 for the homeward ride. Trust me, you will go back...enjoy!!

Reply to this Topic
waynecapell

Jul 05

waynecapell says:

Replies

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Casbiker I will av a look at the routes, ta.

As for the midges, we will have to put up with them, dont have any choice but to go Jul/Aug due to school hols.  Cant wait, lmfao

Safe Biking, Stay Frosty:ph43r:

Wayne

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

you may need...

...THIS

:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
waynecapell

Jul 05

waynecapell says:

Thanks

Loved the Scotranslate, lmfao

Thanks for all the help and advice.  Had a look at some routes on mapsource, then viewed them in Google Earth, the roads round Ullapool look great.  B&B's will be used, the wife and daughters wont camp won't camp.

Dont know how the F800GS will cope not done a tour on it yet fully loaded.  I have just downsized from the GSA.  The wife will be fine on the 1150.

all the best

Wayne

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices