Skip to content

Discuss This Petition challenges road tax hike General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Petition challenges road tax hike

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Petition challenges road tax hike

A petition challenging plans to raise motorcycle road tax has gained over 2,000 signatures within hours of appearing on Number 10’s website. Sign the petition here Bike tax is set to rise by between 4% and 6% under Government proposals. The petition says: “We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stop the increases in motorcycle tax proposed for 2010. “Given that the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (08 January 2010 17:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

Yellowninja600 (again!)

The price of Gold is based upon the US dollar and NOT the pound. Whilst the pound recently dropped to almost a parr with the dollar, from being almost 1 for 2, it is now back up to around 1 for 1 and a half. Whilst the buying power of sterling does vary, which in turn impacts upon how much you have to spend to buy gold, it  is NOT correct to write that the price of gold always remains the same. Perhaps you mean its intrinsic value?

However, all this is beyond the point (except as one of many examples of this government's worth) and I stand by my earlier comments - we are going to be squeezed until the pips explode!!

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Bikerbookworm

You're taking a 'market' view of the pricing of gold.

Gold can be traded for anything of value be it corn, money or oil. Basing it on the dollar is for market traders.

If there is a surplus in corn or basically nobody wants your corn then it will take a hell of a lot of corn to get the same amount of gold as it would at other times when everyone needs corn. Supply and demand with the values adjusting accordingly Gold is the central measurement of worth of everything else within my example, it's the fixed value.

Currency used to be based on gold. It's now based on nothing but a promise. I like to use gold as the base and fixed value in order to judge how the worlds currencies are doing. It would appear that Britains isn't doing too good....

Reply to this Topic
1000TT

Mar 08

1000TT says:

Bike Tax

Yellowninja, BikerBookworm, Christallmighty you guys, Road tax, just Road tax and it's effects on us directly, not the world gold market. However, I'm not here to knock your discussion but you know what I mean I'm sure. Now as you are probably saying out loud, I shall feck off.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

1000TT

Please hang around but call it:

VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY....

Road tax is from the days when the yearly amount you paid to use your vehicle on the road actually paid towards building and maintaining roads... Before the days that all motorists were seen as simply cash cows to be milked at every turn...

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

1000TT

Again I'm in agreement with you - its a form of 'death by a thousand cuts'. I read somewhere that since 1996 in real terms and on average we are paying £2k more per year in various tweaked and new taxes. The point I was originally trying to make is that the future is going to make what has gone before look like a walk in the park - if they don't get it through Road Tax / VED (!!) they'll find some other way and they have tied whatever government gets in next time to this course... call me Mr Gloom...

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

But this is what they want!

Sales down 25%?  That's a WIN for the EU and their lackeys at Westminster.  Do not forget that EU poolicy is to eradicate motorcycling completely.

Claes Tingvall (Director of Traffic Safety Sweden and advisor to various EU committees): “There is no room for motorcycles in Vision Zero.”

So there you have it from the man to (basically) define the current EU policy.  No bikes.  Period.

Labour are doing their level best to realise his dream, and they are obviosuly succeeding.

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

As per usual…

contributors to the forum are all for “something must be done RANT,RANT Bloddy Government, RANT,RANT” (ably egged on by Faz , well its easy copy isn’t it!) but when someone highlights something that might ACTUALLY make a difference http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2010/january/What-are-you-going-to-do-for-bikers-in-the-election/
Then what happens?
I’ll tell you what happens~ Sweet FA!!

Good luck to Chris Hodder and BMF but don't be that suprised if this petition, like everyone else before it, sinks without a trace!

Alternatively you could try something that might (just might!) make a difference??

GV8

Reply to this Topic
hdavidson

Jan 10

hdavidson says:

Road Tax

Yellowninja 600 has got it right.......there was a time when the duty was raised to pay for road repairs. That's obviously not happening and hasn't been the case for quite a while. Like the motorist, we are an easy touch.

Here's a plan:  While I wouldn't normally advocate doing the Gov. a favour, let them slap a few quid tax on them other road users on two wheels - the cyclist.  Might cut down the numbers !

Reply to this Topic
kisersozaye

Jul 08

kisersozaye says:

asterd tax hike

ef in government bbbbbb aasterds!!!

Reply to this Topic
Manxsteve

Apr 10

Manxsteve says:

Road tax/VED

However you define it or where it goes, you guys should count yourselves lucky! Us lot on the isle of man have had a 50% hike, our inflation is just under 5%. Real term wages (excluding government) over the last two years is nil = hardship!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle