Skip to content

Ask an Expert Car sat nav on a motorbike Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Car sat nav on a motorbike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morpheus20170

Aug 07

Car sat nav on a motorbike

Hello guys and girls,
I have been looking into this for a while now but I'm not sure whether there will be any problems. I was told yesterday that vibrations can wreck car sat nav on a motobike.
I am not sure how to power one but I have seen the female end of a cigarette lighter on e-bay to connect the cigarette lighter charger to: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-inline-motorcycle-accessory-power-socket-65cm-cable_W0QQitemZ300283254956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item45ea46d8ac but I am not sure about using this. I have also found the So Easy Rider V3: http://www.soeasygps.com/shop/kit-gps-moto.html which will make a car sat nav waterproof. Not sure the best way to hear the instructions yet though.
Can you help me at all please?
Cheers, Paul

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 January 2010 22:02)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

sat navs

Well......

If you have a fairing, make sure the 'nav is tucked behind the screen.
I think it was LIDL who were doing "zip up" plastic bags that are ideal for holding a nav.

GIVI go a bag that strap onto your handle bars and holds a nav. This should help stop any vibrations.

As for the cigarette lighter..... I have used one for years. Wired direct to the battery, but WITH AN INLINE FUSE and hidden under the seat. I've used it for mobile phone charging, compressor charging etc. when on bike rallies.

Nippy Normans do a water proof accessory socket.

Reply to this Topic
morpheus20170

Aug 07

Sat Nav

Cheers guys for your replies. I am now having trouble trying to figure out how to hear the instructions. I am not sure if the mini usb port has audio out but I have been told by someone that he doubts it. The TomTom Go 750 has bluetooth but is bulky, there are Garmin satnav which have bluetooth but I am not sure about them. I have been told that even with bluetooth they are only meant for connecting to a mobile phone and therefore I would have trouble connecting one to a headset. I don't know how true this is as Buybits.com have a bluetooth headset which they connect to a TomTom sat nav.

Can someone please help me with this?

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

sat nav

I don't listen to them in a car. i just look at them.

Reply to this Topic
morpheus20170

Aug 07

Sat nav

Thanks for the reply but I am thinking about using it on the motorbike therefore thought it best to listen to it

Reply to this Topic
skint881

Aug 09

skint881 says:

Try Ram Mounts

Hi Paul, I was in your predicament last summer. I bought a Ram mounting bracket, and handlebar clamp, for my TomTom One. I got the correct power supply lead with inline fuse for the TomTom, and connected it straight to the battery. When I'm not using it I take the fuse out to prevent draining the battery. I got it from GPS Warehouse, who are the Uk distributors for this US product. They were extremely helpful. Unfortunately they are updateing their website and stock at the moment but you can still view the products on the US sites.  I intend buying the medium aqua box this year for more weather protection. It is all a bit bulky but I've seen it in use and it works. The screen can be difficult to see in some sunny conditions but this would happen with any satnav in the open. I never had problems with vibration. I could not hear the TomTom as it doesn't have an earpiece connection, which wasn't a problem.  Looking at the links you've posted, I wonder if the holder would slip round with the weight of the satnav, making it difficult to see.Hope this helps.  Alan

Reply to this Topic
morpheus20170

Aug 07

Sat nav

Cheers Alan. This does help. I have also seen on Buybits the aqua box but with the clamp it works out quite expensive.

I have now seen various solutions to be able to hear the instructions from the Tom Tom Go 730 which has bluetooth and audio out. Headsets that stick inside a helmet that connect via 3.5mm jack but no microphone should I wish to talk to someone on the phone, bluetooth headset but Halfords have said that it won't connect as bluetooth is only meant for the phone to connect or Cardo Scala Rider bluetooth with mic and headphone although this looks expensive.

Does anyone use the bluetooth connection on their satnav to talk on the phone while riding?

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

satnav

keep it in a tankbag with a map pocket, you can see it and its waterproof plus no worries about vibes.

Reply to this Topic
PeterKesel

Jan 10

PeterKesel says:

HID Kit

Nice tips.I think car is better than motor bike.I have now seen various solutions to be able to hear the instructions from the Tom Tom Go 730 which has bluetooth and audio out.More information let us visit at:
http://www.hidonlinestore.com/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
morpheus20170

Aug 07

Sat nav on motorbike

Cheers everyone although comments about using the car I don't understand as this is a motorbike website/forum. I am interested to hear from anyone that has used ram mount with a car sat nav on the bike and whether the aqua box through ram mounts is worth the money? Still unsure how to hear the instructions and whether I want to speak to someone on the phone while riding but the ram mount solution does sound good. Has anyone had any experience of using Telferizer for a mount through the hole in the headstock?

Reply to this Topic
60trojan

Oct 11

60trojan says:

SATNAV WIRELESS EARPIECE

AIR TUBE headset for GPS devices which do not have an audio output

Go to www.soeasyrider.com

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale