Skip to content

Ask an Expert Average Annual Mileage Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Average Annual Mileage

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

aspguitars

May 06

aspguitars says:

Average Annual Mileage

A hard one I know, but what do dealers base the annual mileage of a motorcycle on. I know if you try to sell a car to a dealer they average about 10,000 miles per year. If you come to buy one from them they quote anywhere between 12,000 and 15,000.

I have been looking for a  large touring bike, something like a CBR1100XX Superblackbird, Suzuki Hyabusa or Kawasaki ZZR1200.  What  average mileage should I be looking at as a rough guide. I understand that a high mileage bike that has been regularly serviced is better than a low mileage bike that has been abused. However there must be a rough guide. Parkers don't seem to mention any mileage for bikes on here.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 January 2010 20:56)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

Mileage

What I've found is I have never had problems with higher mileage bikes, but when it comes to selling time, nobody wants to know, so now I spend a bit more for a low miler. I once had an early VFR 750 for a couple of years and advertised it in MCN.

That night I had ten calls about it but nobody followed it up when I told them the mileage was 36000.

Bear in mind this was a 10 year old bike, the average annual mileage was only 3600!

Also it is well known that they are good for at least 100000-150000m but I learned my lesson.

So now I change my bikes oftener but not because there's anything wrong with them.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Ave mileage

It depends. Summer toy = 1000-2000m per year
touring die hard = 10,000-30,000 per year

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

About 4000 -10000 p.a. Max 40000 otherwise cheap...

When I traded my ER6F in the dealers seemed to think that for mid size bikes about 4000 miles a year was average. I guess for a the bikes you mention that could go up to about 10K per year since they tend to do serious touring on weekends.
From what I have seen in the dealers they regularly stock bikes between 20K-30K (total) but don't tend to sell bikes with more mileage than about 40000 although the bikes you are after would laugh at such a mileage - I would hope that all the bikes you mention would see 100K plus with suitable maintenance but price wise if it has much more than 40K I would expect a very significant adjustment in the price to sweeten the deal.
Personally I think second hand bike prices are crazy -  I don't think bikes like being left so low mileage bikes are bad value - frequently they need a lot of bits replacing when you start using them and all the fittings/bolts/nuts etc seem to weld themselves together as a result of them never being used...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Mileage

When it comes to low mileage older bikes, I've seen more of those that have been dropped/pranged than higher mileage examples.

I think the bigger the bike and its engine, the more acceptable "high mileage” is. On the bikes you're looking at, I'd be happy with a 7k average annual mileage, as long as the bike has been looked after.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's something you'll want to keep for a long time and for many miles. Constantly changing bikes seems an expensive waste of money to me for the sake of keeping low miles. Just enjoy your ride as much as you can, and service it yourself as much as you can to save money. You’re going to lose money no matter what you do on motor vehicles, so you might as well get your moneys worth and enjoy it.

I agree with Andy949494 about second hand bike prices. When you compare the cost of your bike new with a similarly priced car of the same age, or even a car nearly twice the price new, the bike will usually have depreciated a lot less than the car.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Mine

has done 6000 miles in 6 months.

Before it got to me it did 1700 miles in 4 years.

Obviously look for something that has been used and serviced. Standing around is bad for things.

The problem is as you say that low mileage may have been abused quite badly Vs a high mileage one that has been serviced well. Look online to see how long bits last on specific models you're interested in and look for signs of thrashing / dropping.

I don't care for my bike. It rarely gets cleaned and has only basic maintenance done by me - it looks horrible but it's serviced frequently and as a matter of safety it's cared for mechanically. It will polish up but I don't see the point.

Reply to this Topic
skoop99

Jul 10

skoop99 says:

Is 6k a year REALLY that high?

I have a problem with this now... My bike is about to be written off; low speed crash on loose gravel (I'm suing the council). The engineer said that 30k is high mileage for an 05 plate XJR 1300? That's about 6k a year. Is that REALLY that high?

OK, when I bought the bike in Jan '09, it had 2850 miles on it, it's now 29547, but on average?

Reply to this Topic
ibike

Mar 09

ibike says:

not really

I do about 10k a year.

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

SKOOP99

Dont worry mate, I picked up my Suzuki GSX650F brand new from my main Suzuki dealer in september 2008, and it has done almost 20,000 miles. The bike is still under warranty until the end of next month !! It's used almost every day, including right through the winter, has a full dealer service history, and has never let me down. my bike was bought to ride and enjoy, not be a showpiece in the garage for 9 months a year. As for re-sale value, I would sell privately, not through a dealer. I may even decide to keep it as my regular hack for commuting. I am fortunate in that i have another bike to use throughout the year. :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
cartersdd

Sep 12

cartersdd says:

Last years workhorse still fine except...

I did 30k miles on my Honda ST1100 last year alone!  Commuting from Portsmouth to Staines.

Bike in garage for MOT needs exhaust brakes tyres.... not bad for 5 years average mailes in one year...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices