Skip to content

Products MCN Biking Britain survey: top 10 five-star SHARP-rated lids Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > MCN Biking Britain survey: top 10 five-star SHARP-rated lids

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Marc Abbott  says:

MCN Biking Britain survey: top 10 five-star SHARP-rated lids

From the responses of 12,000 MCN readers, here are your top 10 helmets that also receive the highest SHARP safety rating possible. Save £££s on motorcycle helmets 1. Shark RSR2 Carbon, RRP from £439.99MCN Shop best price: £299.99 +£10 P&P from Helmet CityThe RSR2 Carbon’s shell is mix of carbon and composite fibres. It comes in two shell sizes, has a quick...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (13 January 2010 15:51)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

+1 for RSR2

Almost perfect all year round!  Quiet, comfortable, vents work, anti-scratch coating pretty good, anti fog coating works, anti-bird (3mm polycarbonate) visors should be standard on every helmet...  Matt finishes a bit weak, so get gloss.  Deep shell may restrict rearward glances, but that'll gradually improve your upper body felxibility ;-)

Reply to this Topic
JoePhillips

Jun 04

JoePhillips says:

Shoei?

I'm very surprised there are no Shoei helmets in the top ten. Just bought a new XR-1100 and it's perfect (except for incessant whistle). In my mind these results show how misrepresentative the SHARP test is of true quality. Does anybody out there pay attention to the rating when they are buying a new lid?

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Stealth

I have an AGV Stealth that I bought last year following the Sharp survey results. I got it to replace the Arai Condor I used to wear until it was rated with two stars. The AGV has taken a long time to bed in. It was really uncomfortable getting my ears in but is a good fit once on. The lining is nowhere near as comfortable as the Arai though. Before the Arai I had a Roof Diversion 020 (also 5 stars). That was a really quiet helmet but the shell size felt a lot bigger than the other two and it felt heavier too. You don't see them about much now so I guess they're not distributed in the UK any more.

The alledged anti scratch visor on the Stealth is nothing of the sort. I'm debating whether or not to order my third clear visor after the first scratched up over winter and the second one had a retaining tab break or maybe I should go back to the Condor? It may have only got two stars but it's lasted a lot better. I can't afford a new helmet right now.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Not relevant for bike accidents

The sharp ratings have not really ever looked at the type of impacts motorcycle helmets receive and draw heavily on impact testing of helmets used in cars. On a motorbike the rider will slide and often drag their head along the floor Most normalyl the chin bar sides and sides of the temple and occassionally on the back of the head. Occassionally impacts may be directed to the forehead however this often results in spinal cord damage.

In cars the drivers head often impacts directly with some part of the inside of the vehicle and will almost never be subjected to being heavily draw along the road (most impacts are front of the head and occassionally the side temples but nearly always a direct impact rather than a sliding or grinding interface)

As a result of this the Sharp tests do not test motorcycle helmets against the type of incidents they very nearly always encounter.

To my mind therefore the Sharp test results may be considerred by some to be interesting but may lead design away from REALLY protecting the bike rider to merely getting high results in a test of no real validity.

I would much rather trust my head to somebody who designs and develops helmets for bike riders who use them on the track and develop on this technology than a bunch of politicians and civil servants with only there own self importance in mind. 5 sharp stars does not a safe motorcycle helmet make.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Im amazed the Arai Viper or RX7 GP's are not on that list, what great helmets they are.

Reply to this Topic
kendizx9r

Oct 04

kendizx9r says:

skidlids

There is a crash helmet out there for everyone, me i cant afford these 3 to £400 lids and to be honest dont need to, am i right in thinking that all hemets need to pass a certain safety test before it can be sold if thats the case just go try as many on until you feel comfortabe with it oh and which would you prefer a £400  lid or a 100 quid lid that has graphics and washable lining antiscratch visor acu approved.

another thing when buying you never can test a helmet for wind noise until you buy it, this is a major drawback with buying one

Reply to this Topic
mattyamaha

May 10

mattyamaha says:

cheap new helmets

i have purchased helmets in the past  for 30 quid  (brand spanking new) 

and they were very comfy and  light   they were acu approved and  i have recently purchased a shark s900 helmet that glows in the dark for 179.99  free p&p   from ghostbikes uk  and you cannot  put a fault on it   (also you get a 5 year warrenty on it too) BONUS!!    so  to heck with these over priced lids   there are so many shops that sell lids at a awesome price

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

Bargain Betty

It pays to reasearch and shop about after searching flea bay I called a major motorcycle dealership which has now closed (Claycross) and got the Helmet I was after, the latest Shoei XR1100 for £180 delivered. Mega Saving!!!

Fantastic Lid!!!

Reply to this Topic
Fuzzmachine

Dec 10

Fuzzmachine says:

I've got the rossi 5 continents gp tech. got a black viser for it and it looks the shits!!!!! Awesome fit an whenu put the viser down almost all the noise is gone an at a nice level. don't agree however with easy switch visers, they are a ballache to put on/take off etc, especially the black visor cos cant see what ur doin an difficult to cliop into place

Reply to this Topic
BikerKay21

Apr 11

BikerKay21 says:

Best you can afford

I have had 2 Shark RSi helmets and I found them brilliant.  Not too expensive but not the cheapest you can buy  I was always told buy the most expensive you can afford and that fits your head best.

My first RSi saved my head when I came off my bike in a country lane and woke up 20 mins later on my head. It had a few gouges in it but it seemed okay and I got off lightly really, hence why I bought another one. It is very similar to the RSR and I have always believed Shark to be a very good brand, so am not surprised they have the top 3 spots.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle