Skip to content

Discuss This Tougher penalties for using mobiles General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Tougher penalties for using mobiles

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Tougher penalties for using mobiles

Drivers could face tougher penalties for using their phones, Transport Secretary Lord Adonis has said. He told peers in the House of Lords the Government needed to "be prepared to consider all measures" amid concern drivers continue to ignore the ban. Offenders may get four points on their licence instead of the current three.  Lord Adonis said there had been...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 January 2010 16:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bozgeezer

May 08

Bozgeezer says:

I would

like to see even tougher penalties. A 14 Day ban plus 3 points and £300 fine would be a good starting point.

Reply to this Topic
boxertwin

Feb 09

boxertwin says:

The issue isn't the points given, but the lack of enforcement by the Police - there just aren't enough Police on patrol to catch people who flout the phone ban. We have plenty of speed cams that force drivers to slow down, but these don't require personnel - this does. Until such times as large numbers of drivers are caught and given the penalty - drivers will continue to ignore the law.

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Load of rubbish

35% reduction? Absolute bull based on what I have seen, if anything it's increased. To make things worse I now see people texting, or looking at websites whilst driving.

In my opinion, there is only one reason the Police don't crack down more on drivers using mobiles: They haven't figured out a way to make money from it - yet

Reply to this Topic
bcroninuk

Mar 09

bcroninuk says:

Dam Right

I hate most car drivers as it is, so fining and punishing them more for being naughty is good news.  Drive the cars how you are suppose to and you cant complain.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Mmm...

Another pointless exercise...

35% drop?????? No chance, more bull5h1te figures...

Instead of focusing on complex issues like mobile phones maybe their efforts could be focused on basic things first? Observation maybe? How to drive round a roundabout in the correct lane? How to pull out at a junction? How to use indicators?

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

1000 fine

1000 pound fine and re take your test or 6 months in the nick that might change peoples minds.....

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

busaman195

Your post is rather strange... Most 'fines' are means tested, no point in fining someone £1000 when you ain't got a hope in hell of getting it back...

Re-sit your test? A minority wouldn't bother so the unlicensed/uninsured figures would increase. It would also undermine the point of 'testing' in the first instance. The test is to make sure you are able to drive, not that you will at all times drive correctly.

6 months in jail... You footing the bill?

Okay... So you are angry. Aren't we all but a little reasonableness would go a long way. Talking on the phone whilst driving is a 'habit' for a lot of people and generally nothing nasty results. It's the odd time when something does happen and there just NEEDS to be a cause and a silly thing like a phone crops up that has led to this mass hypocrisy. The governments LOVE habits and love the fact they can tax them to death whilst making the 'victim' feel guilty.

Out of all the years I have sped down the road whilst drinking a beer and texting on the phone I have to happily state that I have had ZERO accidents. A vast majority of people will fall into the same boat. The odd time something goes wrong but then maybe it'll be a tyre blowing out or a deer running across the road... Massively over rated and a pointless exercise. Better if they focused their attentions towards the general standards of driving which have to be at an all time low and it's more to do with lane discipline than someone talking on a bloody mobile...

Reply to this Topic
daveyboy79

Feb 09

daveyboy79 says:

All well and good, but enforcement has gone down and down as they're relying more on speed cameras, etc, can get away with loads more, drunk, high, on phone, having a shave, whatever, as cameras don't pick up on that. Of course there are those forces that send out their officers to check our dark visors, loud end cans, small numberplates and give us grief for not wearing hi-viz, that could be out catching people on the phone.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

Just for a change

I'm with the government on this.

There really is no excuse - want to use a phone - buy a hands free set. Yes it would be nice if all driving bad practice could be eliminated, but you have to start somewhere & this is easy to spot.

As for driving down the road whilst drinking beer and texting - no doubt thats just what other people thought before ploughing into someone....

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Won't matter

There are no traffic police left to enforce it as they awere all reaplced by cameras, and cameras can't see mobile phone use.

Remember, it is ONLY speeding that is dangerous; nothing else.  Not lane hogging, tail-gating, drink driving, drug driving,  running red lights, having broken lights, diesel spills, pot holes, driving unlicensed, untaxed, uninsured or even in a vechile fit for the road.  ONLY SPEEDING!

Must be, it's the only thing that explains government policy.  (That and the cameras are a nice cash earner for Darling.)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle