Skip to content

Discuss This Police: ‘Your bike’s been stolen - by us’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Police: ‘Your bike’s been stolen - by us’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Police: ‘Your bike’s been stolen - by us’

Muddled police broke into an MCN reader’s garage, took his motorcycle, then contacted him to say they’d recovered it from thieves.  Steve Hamer, 35, from Ystrad Mynach in Wales, was surprised when an officer told him his beloved Ducati 750 Supersport had been recovered in a raid. Until that moment he’d had no idea it had been stolen. But he was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 January 2010 17:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blusta

Feb 09

blusta says:

Thank you very much...

acting on intelligence...OK!

as for having to pay thats just totally insulting. you are a mere number, scum shit on someones shoe...not a valuble part of society, a tax payer, a law abiding citizen just deserving some respect, so there you go fuck you we'll do as we like...

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

All's well that ends well...

...let's hope it does.  Then smile, instead of getting angry.

The police found my wife's car, 10 weeks after it had been stolen, locked up in a car park, with fake plates on it, but still showing the proper tax disc (with original reg).  They didn't even contact us until after they'd lifted it onto a truck and taken it to their pound to try and get in to take fingerprints - there were none.  Then they demanded a payment to release it back to us.  They had no right to move it, or to demand payment, so we insisted on collected it without paying them a penny, and drove it without plates, quite legally, to the garage for new locks and plates.  The police are human and do make mistakes.  They're short of funds too, and they have been known to try it on...

Reply to this Topic
jonnyconcrete

Oct 05

I feel your pain

my mrs car was stolen a few years back now (it wasnt even that nice a car >> a MG Metro) anyway a few days later we get a call from the police saying we have found the car (which basically meant it had been parked up outside someones house for a few days with the lock hanging out the door). So myself and the mrs go to the given address and lo and behold no car. We ring the police who say oh yes we forgot to ring you it has been restolen and spotted somewhere else !!!

To cut a long rant short. The car was found a few days later burnt out. The police rang me and then proceeded to charge my mrs 350 quid as a towing fee for moving the car......I was flabbergasted not only was my mrs gutted because her car had been stolen found and then burnt out but then she was hit with the 350 removal and then a destruction fee from the scrapyard. I think communication is the police's biggest problem these days well that and lack of common sense.

Reply to this Topic
lugerotto

Jan 10

lugerotto says:

The Police do make mistakes, but it seems like so much in MCN that this story is so one sided as to be laughable. Whatever happened to a balanced report? The Police received 'intelligence' that a stolen bike is in a lock up. What do they do next? Make a number of enquiries to trace the owner of the garage or the person that rents the garage, or go and get the bike? There are probelms with both scenarios. The first one gives the 'thief' a chance to get rid of the bike and then the Police get in the neck for not reacting quickly enough. In the second the owner is put to some inconvenience. Alright quite a lot of inconvenience and initail cost but the Police will I would hope sort out compensation. The Police have a difficult job to do and don't always get it right but at least lets have a fair report. You cant please all the people all of the time. Thats life. GROW UP!

Reply to this Topic
Steve750SS

Jan 10

Steve750SS says:

I'm the 'Mr H' in the story. And I still don't have my bike back. For 3 weeks now the recovery firm have blamed the inclement weather and workload for not bringing it back as arranged. The garage door is being dealt with by the owner of the garage (I rent 2 in the same block) - apparently this isn't the first time something similar has happened. The police don't believe they should issue a formal apology and still insist they've done nothing wrong - so there's absolutely no chance of being compensated for the hassle and inconvenience caused. Whilst I realise that it may not be ideal to contact the landlord and occupier before carrying out every operation, the fact that they didn't know who the landlord was until I told them suggests they charged in without thinking. What worries me most now, is that the reg. no. will be 'tagged' by my local constabulary, leading to no end of trouble for me giving this story to the press.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Steve

Sounds like you're taking it remarkably well.  I can't believe that this particular force seem intent on getting off scott free for demolishing a door and incoveniencing you and your landlord, without any reasonable cause.  Maybe now we can all just tip off the Police when we want some vandalsim perpetrating, in the full knowledge they will act first and only think later?  If it had been you they'd carted off, rather than your bike, on the basis of unchecked faulty (or is that lack of) intelligence, then surely you could sue for wrongful arrest?  Seems like they were negligent and culpable.

Anyway, I hope they've at least kept your bike clean and dry, and that you don't keep getting stopped.  You could ask them to delete the record from the stolen recovered database, seeing as how it never was?  Or maybe they'll let this solved crime prop up their detection rates?  My stolen recovered car only got stopped once in eight years - an officer checked the reg after I caught her eye with a "brisk manouvre", so we stopped for a chat, which was reassuring.  Either sue their asses off, and win, or dip under the radar.

Reply to this Topic
Steve750SS

Jan 10

Steve750SS says:

Another Friday comes and goes, another pre-arranged time to deliver my bike back has been missed. This is getting increasingly frustrating now, as I have now had to organise my working week around these non-deliveries 3 weeks in a row.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Other costs to be recovered?

What about the police paying for the damage to the garage door ?

From the photo it will need to be replaced, was there any other building damage from their breaking and entering ?

I would want to see if the bike has been damaged while in transit or while in storage ? You know how easily bikes are damaged, especially the plastics ?

Have you contacted your insurance co to make a claim against the police ? This could get very messy.

I had another bad experience with the bill recovering my ex wifes stolen car in 2002. The police ran up storage charges of hundreds of pounds with a private recovery company and didnt tell us, we were not told it was found  or recovered for days, they did`nt give us chance to recover it. The police then washed their hands of it, did`nt care or want to know. Told me to pay the costs.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

If in doubt always refer to the police`s own golden rule:

They are never wrong.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I say again, why do we put up with this behaviour? The law applies to EVERYBODY. How can the law itself be respected if it is constanly abused and perverted by those who are meant to protect us from wrong doing?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle