You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Misfiring when hot

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cushk3

Mar 09

cushk3 says:

Misfiring when hot

Apologies as someone has probably asked this before!

I own a 2005 Suzuki SV1000S which has recently developed a fault which is systematic of damp i.e. backfiring (moreso than usual), only firing on one cylinder, bogging down (only in lower revs - usually lower than 6k)

The only thing is it happens when the engine is hot.

I have changed the plugs and the front cylinder HT cap as well as giving everything a good spray with WD40 and fitting a Fenda Extenda to no avail...

It runs and revs brilliantly when cold - please someone help me to shed some light on this!

Regards!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 January 2010 17:34)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

missing

It sounds like a weak mixture caused by a faulty sensor or induction leak or the valve clearances are too tight.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

It's possible

You may have a coil breaking down. Though it'd be best to try changing both plug caps to be sure it isn't either of them.

For a cheap coil test,jusy follow the diagram below,then run the bike up to operating temperature and keep an eye out for any failing spark.  If one of them does start to lose spark,swap the coils over and try again. If the problem transfers to the other cylinder,it's the coil.

Basic Running Spark Test

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Misfire

Hi, I wonder if you have solve the problem. I have the same problem.Please help. Thanks.

lloydau@sky.com

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices