Skip to content

General 3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Bozgeezer

May 08

Bozgeezer says:

3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it?

Had a read of the 3rd driving licence directive the other day, (Yes, sad but being unemployed certainly makes you a bit like this).

I cannot believe the drivel that we are signing up to. I believe that this will really drive bikiing to the graveyard. My 12 yr old boy was most upset when he realised what he would have to go through to have a proper powerful bike on the road legally. Has put him off biking cos he says he can just have a souped up car for far less hassle.

The thing that most bugs me is that there seems to be no provision to restrict the idiots in cars on power. In theory you could be 17, pass your test in a car, and drive a Bugatti veyron the same day.

When will common sense and fairness prevail??:mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (19 January 2010 01:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

mike

why ask mcn to fight for your rites do it yourself

every one expects some one  else to do it for them

thats how we did it in the old days

Reply to this Topic
kestrel69

Nov 05

kestrel69 says:

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

you are mike

how about going to mag  or organising something in your area like a ride very slow morning by bikes

Reply to this Topic
GHolmes81

Sep 08

GHolmes81 says:

Power to the peolpe

I wonder if we would be ignored doing a ride through london and parking outside no10:hmmm:.

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

If you are planning to protest why not meet up in Witney.

David Cameron is likely to be Prime Minister after the election.

It would be in his interest to  get people to vote for him, this is one cause that may get more bikers voting conservative this time around.

I note that in Banbury, home of the Banbury Run, the local MP Tony Baldry is also Conservative.

A few thousand bikers turning up in Witney, inviting local press and TV is sure to get coverage.

This would be a good time to ask where does David Cameron stand on this one?

And to widen the debate on EU interference.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

ok

we are getting started

now stop blowing out your arses and start to organise something get some press coverage

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

How about an organized mass of protest on their Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/conservatives

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

Sample Letter Here

http://wiki.motorcycle.co.uk/index.php?n=Training.3rdDrivingLicenceDirective

Dear .......,

Re: Draft Third EC Driving Licence Directive

I wish to bring to your attention my concerns over the draft Third EC Driving Licence Directive which, in its existing form, will adversely affect the future of motorcycling. I ask for your support in influencing its progress through The Council of Ministers in December.

The Directive is intended to improve road safety by introducing greater consistency to driver licensing, addressing fraud and keep unsafe drivers off the road. It also includes extensive proposals relating to motorcycling which, although intended to improve safety, have been poorly thought out, ignore motorcycle safety research like the Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study (MAIDS) and are not likely to be effective. I support measures to improve road safety, particularly for motorcycles, but can see no benefit from such ill-conceived proposals. The motorcycling measures include:

• The introduction of three categories of motorcycle A1 (<125cc/11kW) A2 (<35 kW) A (>35 kW)
  • Access to category A1 from age 16 (17 in the UK ) and minimum ages to A2 and A subject to rigid two-year intervals.
  • A requirement for testing or training to progress from each category.
  • Direct Access to category A from age 24

The existing measures under the Second EC Driving Licence Directive, while criticised by riders and the enforcement community for their complexity, at least allow progress from category A1 via two years experience on an up to 25 kW motorcycle to category A and offers Direct Access at age 21. If there are any safety issues they are related to Direct Access by riders in their 30s and older which is already to be reviewed under The Government's Motorcycling Strategy.

The 3rd EC Driving Licence Directive's proposals will produce an even more complex motorcycle licensing process that will be neither understandable nor enforceable and will make motorcycling less accessible with no safety benefit. This flies in the face of The UK Government's Motorcycling Strategy which seeks to mainstream motorcycling for transport and leisure while making positive recommendations to improve safety without compromising its accessibility. It also runs counter to the EC's stated intent to introduce legislation only where there is a clear and demonstrable benefit in doing so.

In view of this, the UK 's motorcycling community - including the British Motorcyclists Federation, the Motorcycle Action Group UK, and the wider Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations - considers that the motorcycling proposals should be deleted from the 3rd EC Driving Licence Directive and revisited in not less than three years time.

By then interventions already in progress will have taken effect and more research can be taken into account to inform a more meaningful directi

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

You have until 5th February

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/thirddirective/
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/consultation/3D_questionnaire/adv/KeyPointWebform.html

Reply to this Topic
GHolmes81

Sep 08

GHolmes81 says:

Help

Who`s gunna help. We need someone to take this forward and i`ve never done anything like this before. Im more than willing to ride down and help get this started but how ?:unsure:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle