Skip to content

General 3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Bozgeezer

May 08

Bozgeezer says:

3rd EU Driving licence directive. End of biking as we know it?

Had a read of the 3rd driving licence directive the other day, (Yes, sad but being unemployed certainly makes you a bit like this).

I cannot believe the drivel that we are signing up to. I believe that this will really drive bikiing to the graveyard. My 12 yr old boy was most upset when he realised what he would have to go through to have a proper powerful bike on the road legally. Has put him off biking cos he says he can just have a souped up car for far less hassle.

The thing that most bugs me is that there seems to be no provision to restrict the idiots in cars on power. In theory you could be 17, pass your test in a car, and drive a Bugatti veyron the same day.

When will common sense and fairness prevail??:mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (19 January 2010 01:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

Second half of draft letter. Too long to posts above.

By then interventions already in progress will have taken effect and more research can be taken into account to inform a more meaningful directive.

The UK 's motorcycling community has responded to a national consultation and met with representatives of the Driving Standards Agency and the Department for Transport which sits on the Council of Ministers. The DfT representatives claim that there is no room to manoeuvre over motorcycling issues with no support from other national governments. We disagree and consider that the motorcycling issues have been subsumed by other aspects of the directive for which they have shown greater enthusiasm.

May I ask you to use your influence to persuade the UK Minister, Dr Ladyman and DfT representatives to call for the motorcycling provisions to be deleted from the 3rd EC Driving Licence Directive so that they may be properly considered at a more appropriate time?

I await your comments with interest.

Yours faithfully,

Your Signature

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

Lord Digby Jones is Chairman of Triumph Motorcycles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digby_Jones,_Baron_Jones_of_Birmingham

I have forwarded all details to his office, and asked if he is aware of this situation, and agrees with our concerns.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

3Rd directive

In a nutshell the 3rd  EC driving licence directive will make it an offence for a learner rider to ride on the road without an acompanying instructor. It makes no comment as to what accompanying instructor means and its quite possible that if the rider and student get split up by trafiic or lights the learner may fall foul of the law. It will also be nigh on impossible for the police to know when a learner rider really has an accompanying instructor.

The accompanying instructor must in this case be a qualified DAS approved instructor (unlike in cars where anyone with a driving licence would be ok). This means there will simply be a shortage of instructors for learner riders to learn with (gone will be the days of learning road craft skills over a few months). Additionally the cost for training will become extremely excessive.

Every politician knows that this is their greatest chance to get motorcycles off the road for good and its thinly disguised as a safety improvement. The EU makes no bones about its goal being to remove motorcyclists from the road due to badly warped fatality figures. The EU is a dictatorship very thinly disguise as democracy and MEP's are hell bent on telling everyone what they will condescend to allow them to do..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BIGMat

Jul 09

BIGMat says:

Just a quicky

I do not believe that doing your CBT should entitle you to ride on the road necessarily. You can't do a half day course and then be allowed out in a car.

When I done my CBT, the fella that done his alongside me (he was 32) had never driven or ridden on the road on anything bigger than a pushbike. I find it amazing that, even though the instructor gave him his certificate (just!) he was then allowed to ride his 125cc bike on pretty much any road (apart from motorways obviously) in any traffic/weather conditions.

Getting qualified riders on the roads has to be a good thing. They have possibly gone a little far a little fast though.

Reply to this Topic
Bozgeezer

May 08

Bozgeezer says:

Reading between...

the lines I believe that the Government favours DSA tests as opposed to training school modules to progress in the power bands.

I believe this to be purposely done to enable the DSA and therfore the treasury to rake in the money rather than hard working instructors.

I believe the accompanying instructor law only applies after you will have your first step on the ladder. i.e a full licence for a bike of leaner 125 spec.

Still stinks though.

The only upside i can see is that i cannot find work as an electrical engineer, so maybe i should retrain as an instructor-there will be a need for them. On the other hand, new bikers may give up cos of the hassle and less instructors will be needed.

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

Update

Having sent a few emails on this.

I have received an email informing me that the Motor Cycle Industry Association will be discussing this next week.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

I know its wrong..

but I can't be bothered. I am just glad I passed my test when I did, and enjoyed what will turn out to be the "golden age of biking"

Someone once said " evil triumphs when good men do nothing" That'll be me then.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices