Skip to content

Ask an Expert Roadsmart v Pilot Road 2 - GSXR 1000K8 Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Roadsmart v Pilot Road 2 - GSXR 1000K8

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Roadsmart v Pilot Road 2 - GSXR 1000K8

After conducting lots of research on Pilot Road 2s for my GSXR 1000 K8 I popped in to my local dealer for a quote. They informed me that Michelin do not list them as a suitable tyre for my bike - this was confirmed in the fitment guide.

They have recommended the Dunlop Roadsmarts as I commute 5 days a week & ride for fun when I can - including weekend trips.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the roadsmart on a 1000cc bike?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (19 January 2010 18:05)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

No experience but

I've only read excellent reviews of the Roadsmart tyres.  MCN Product of the Year 2008...................

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_uk/Images/2009_Sportmax_Leaflet_UK_tcm982-64784.pdf

Reply to this Topic
scarthie

Feb 08

scarthie says:

tyre for gsxr1000

:smile i would go for the michelin 2 ct pilot power.that wrong what dealer say the do 120/70zr17 190/50zr17&120/70zr17.190/55zr17 sizes look at the michelin web site. i got pair of 2 ct fitted my gsxr750 k9 very good in wet&dry lots for grip good mileage out of them :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Roadsmart okay

In TWO comparison test about a year ago RoadSmart really kicked ass in grip on a cold 8°C wet track, pulling nearly 1.4G stopping force (c.f. 1-1.1 for most others) and cornering well two.  At 5-6K though they're annoying me slightly now - not worn out but not nice at straight ahead - so I might ship out and try something else.

Mind you, if I'd stayed with BT015s I'd have gone through two rears and a front by now, so I'm quids in with the RoadSmarts and probably safer in the wet too.

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Roadsmarts

Thanks chaps.

Michelin do indeed make the tyre in the 120/70ZR17 & 190/50ZR17 however they do not recommend them for the GSXR 1000.

I have never felt happy with the BT015s and so had the Roadsmarts fitted this morning for £248 (ride in price) and have covered 95 miles.

So far so good. We've had a little sleet & snow today and they haven't miss behaved at all. Obviously I have been taking it easy for now, but I'm favouring these over the 015s already.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

How many miles are you doing?

Hope you enjoy the RoadSmarts.  Be interesting to see how you get on as they wear.  Anyway, for the next few k you can marvel at the free suspension upgrade with every pair - at least compared to the BT015s that's how it felt to me.

I'd already had my squidgy bits tweaked by the WP man in Almeria - as my K8 wasn't balanced front to rear, was juddering at the front on the brakes, destroying the rear tyre, and wasn't pitching enough to let me know what was going on.  So much for stock out of the crate settings.  He started from scratch and sent me out with a much plusher ride, more movement, and he saved the BT015s.  That's how I kept it for road use, but with one notch of preload back on at the front so I don't have to hang off or hold it out of every turn.

The thing is, changing to the Dunlops made almost as much difference again.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Mileage

BB..
The majority of my riding is my 60 mile commute to work, with a little riding for fun when I can. I had put 10k on the bike within the first 8 months which included a 2k trip to the Stelvio Pass on the Swiss/Italian border.

I'm not an overly quick rider but I do not think I'm a slouch either. I have never had any confidence with the K8's front end, especially compared with my Daytona 650. I returned to the dealer who had a tweak with the suspension, but I always felt I was fighting it in the bends. It seems better with the Dunlops already & thats in the wet.

I also had a problem with the bike choking on acceleration when warm, not revving past 8k revs. Hopefully that has been fixed at the last service - I'll have to wait & see.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Stelvio

Damn.  I've only seen that road from a coach...

I was doing 70 a day on my gixxer, over the Pennines, but now I'm down to 30 less exciting daily miles, plus some weekend fun, but the bike was  transformed after three days on track in Almeria (or was that me).  Basically, the front had been way too stiffly damped, and together with the harsh BT015s it was telling me nothing.

The WP guy bounced the bike, cursed Suzuki, then wound all the damping off and dialled it back in incrementally until it felt right to him, pressing and bouncing front, rear and the seat to confirm the balance.  He set the rebound, and hi and lo speed compression the same way, by feel alone, then checked on my progress and tyres for the duration, all for €50.  It took a while to adapt, but finally I had a starting point that worked for me.  He reckoned the suspension is good quality (no, he didn't try to sell any WP stuff), but the settings out of the crate, maybe even by click counts, are a lottery.

I'm no expert, but your doubts over the front could be the same issue - not enough compliance. 
Once balanced and plush (well, as plush as 10kg/cm fork springs can be), the front felt much more confident to this middle aged track newbie.

The WP guy also dropped the front pre-load all the way, which is probably why it felt more natural, stable but adjustable, hanging off mid turn, and yet more flickable when upright, but like I say, I backed off on that for road use.

I wonder what your dealer actually tweaked?  If you're anywhere near the northwest we could compare steeds some time.

Not sure the thou will ever corner like a Daytona 650 or 675 though, but boy did it make up for it elsewhere: from laying huge bananas to standing on the front it made mince meat of all manner of exotica.

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Suspension

I'll have to try to convince the wife I need to go to Almeria to get the bike sorted!!

Although I rack up the miles on the bike my technical knowledge is apalling. I honestly ride and & take it back to the dealer or friends if anything needs doing. I did find a document explaining suspension setting on gixxer.com but I wont tinker in case I completely screw it up.

I've never had the courage to do a track day but have vowed to do so this year on the Daytona. A couple of friends attended the Ron Haslam race school. They reckon it was worth every penny so I may try that first.

If you ever get the opportunity to ride to Switzerland do it. I loved it. Some pics below.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
si1981

Feb 09

si1981 says:

wacca1

Hi nice pics and bike!:winkie:

I would like do bit of europe somestage looking at pics put yer in the mood!

I see you have double bubble screen dose it make much diffrence wind wise compare to standard one? and use a rack to put all yer gear in back?

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Screen

Hello Si. The screen made  little difference on the Suzuki to be honest but I am quite tall. However I also have one on the daytona  and that made a hell of a difference.

The first time I went abroad I used a tail pack & a ruck sack but my back/shoulders were killing me by the 2nd day. Last year I invested in the Bagster/Baglux tank cover & tank bag which is fantastic. I also put on a Rentec rack which gave a little more space.  The rack came off when I got home but will go back on when I next go away.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices