Skip to content

Discuss This Silverstone World Superbike round confirmed World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Silverstone World Superbike round confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Silverstone World Superbike round confirmed

Silverstone will host the British round of the World Superbike championship in 2010, as was revealed by MCN earlier this week. Originally scheduled to take place at crisis-hit Donington Park on August 1, it will now take place at Silverstone on the same date. It means that the Northamptonshire circuit is now the undisputed number one venue for British bike racing, with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (22 January 2010 16:29)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

F1, MotoGP and WSB all at one circuit ... it was going to be inevitable but I'd rather it hadn't come to this.

In an ideal world, F1 would be at Silverstone, WSB at Brands and MotoGP at Donington. Sadly, the world has gone mad and I don't see the old arrangements happening again any time soon.  It all comes down to money - those that hanker after a white knight with money to burn to rescue Donny are living a fantasy (unless someone knows an Arab or Russian who has millions to spare who isn't interested in buying a Premier League football club?!). Who in their right mind would take on a circuit at the moment that needs a lot of money spending on it just to make it useable, and then still needs major investment to fix the old Donny problems - toilets, access etc etc. All this with no portfolio of any significant motorsport events to host in 2010? It's a vicious circle and I'm not sure how it can be fixed - though I hope that it can be sorted so that a 'normal' domestic season for Donny can be planned for 2011.

By which time Silverstone will be well on their way to having their shiny new pits and paddock complex completed. Why would MotoGP want to move away after their initial five year contract has elasped? I reckon MotoGP will be at Silverstone for a very long time as there is simply no other venue able to compete with them in terms of circuit (whether you like the new layout or not), facilities and access. It's a depressing situation where only one UK circuit is able to hold premier international motorsport, but that's the stark reality facing us at the moment.

Brands is caught in a situation where even if Palmer could stump up the funding to upgrade the circuit for MotoGP, the district council and the tree-huggers simply wouldn't let it happen. I'd love to see WSB back at Brands, but Palmer, unlike Gillett, won't go chasing a pot of gold that cannot be made to work financially in the short to medium term.

I wonder how long WSB will be at Silverstone .... 3 to 5 years to start?

Reply to this Topic
badgerthedog

Apr 04

badgerthedog says:

oulton park best circuit we have     

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Let what has happened at Donington be a lesson to all,never rent anything,because no matter how much,and how long you pay,you'll never own it,and have nothing to show for all you time effort and money.

Is there any wonder Gillet couldn't get the money,to be loaned against what???,Donington will get sorted when the person who owns it runs it,jeeze it's just financial basics.

Reply to this Topic
Big-Gixxer-Pix

Aug 08

Not happy...

This is all very sad, Donington's a great circuit... Everybody can say what they want, I loved my track time and hope to do again one day.....

There's been some great races there in the past few years Scott Redding's win, 46 in the wet, Pedro cleared off and last year what a Gp. Just glad all of my family and friends were there.

I don't care about the crappy toilets, it's about the Racing... Give me fast down Craner, through the old hair pin and build up speed to McLean's... the dogs...

Just hope something can be done Nottingham is a fantastic stop over city.

What's near Silverstone roundabouts at Milton keynes, won't get my money...

Just booked to go to Barca again, lovely strike down there and Sun sun sun...... Still not happy that a great track has gone until further notice for any races at one of my favorite circuits..

Long live Doni, hope she rises again like a Phoenix from the flames mightier then before...

Reply to this Topic
keyboardwarrior

Sep 09

Something is better than nothing

Well we all know its not the fans choice but at least we now have a British round for our lads.

Should make the family, friends and sponsers happy.

On a positive note at least all of our lads have good silverstone track knowledge and im sure there might be a few of the non brit racers who have little or no Silverstone experience.

Im from Surrey so its not such a schlep for me to get to so I will be going for WSB and Moto GP :)

The best bit about this story for me is the taking out the crusty first gear chicane (last lap brain in a bucket attack) at woodcote so some bigger overtakes into the first corner will me more commonplace :)

Fank Yu.

Reply to this Topic
sgt61

Nov 05

sgt61 says:

haslam

must be happy with this venue, isn't this where dad Ron has his track day school and where Leon can be seen when he has spare time?

Reply to this Topic
ginge46

Mar 09

ginge46 says:

bummer about donny

Im with Big GIXXER on this im gutted that wsb aint at donnington this year was planning to take a few pals with me this year and get our asses parked at craner curves....best seat in the house!!! But at least we have got a british round and somewhere to cheer on our boys just hope the viewing points are a little better than when i last went!!!

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Great news

Fantastic news that Donington looks to be gone forever as the race fan and British motor sport will be all the better for its demise.

Just hope it is not torrential rain at Silver-stone as the drainage can be a issue as was the case with the WSB cancellation a couple of seasons ago.

But its brilliant that we have a round to cheer our boys on at and perhaps a few home wild cards as well

wonder if it will be on the GP circuit or the old track ? or the supposed new one

i wonder how that's getting on along with the moving of the stands etc as that will show how committed they are to long term bike racing

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

sgt61

Ron Haslam has done his racing school for years at Donington not Silverstone

He will still use Donington if it has a track as it is only the racing that's finished (thank the lord)

Reply to this Topic
express

Feb 03

express says:

Donington Park

Clarkson, just like your TV persona namesake, you my friend with all due respect ,are an IDIOT!  For sure Donington has over the years been a disgrace for money paying customers/ spectators, but surely the demise of one of our few premier racing venues in the UK  has to be a travesty of justice & in my opinion even with tax-payers money & government help Donington Park should be saved.

I see no reason why Donington Park could not be nationalised & run at a profit with goverment funding, after all there seems to be enough people interested in visiting & using the venue for either spectating or track-days etc.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices