Ask an Expert Superduke Seizing Brakes Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Superduke Seizing Brakes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

Superduke Seizing Brakes

As you may or may not be aware, there has been an ongoing saga between myself and KTM following my Superdukes front brake seizing and throwing me off the bike last year.
KTM originally ignored us (there are more than 5 of these incidents) but eventually we got VOSA involved. The short answer is that KTM, Brembo and VOSA came up with a nice statement denying all responsibility for the following reason.
They state the the Superduke (not the SDR) is classed at a 'Race Bike' and as such, before and after every ride during the winter, the bike, and brakes should be washed and dried before use.
When I (and others) bought these bikes, nothing of this was mentioned by the Dealers. They were all sold as Road Bikes (hence indicators fitted, etc) and as such should be capable of being ridden during any time of the year without having to wash and dry before use (and after).
I would be interested to know your thoughts on this because I feel we were sold bikes that were not fit for purpose.
If I was told it needed this sort of maintenance before I bought I, simple answer is, I wouldn't.
I was lucky not to be killed during my crash as I ended up on the other side of the road on my bum, I am appalled KTM, Brembo and VOSA seem to think they can ignore this by telling us its all our own fault because we didn't maintain the bike correctly. I have ridden for over 40 years without an accident so I think I am perfectly capable of maintaining the many bikes I have had over the years and ridden throughout the year without being blamed for something that was not my fault.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 January 2010 10:24)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brakes

Your right the brakes aren`t fit for the job,the more info on these incidents the better.ACIC the solicitor on here may help,good luck.:smile

Reply to this Topic
russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

Lack of Brakes

Ah well, looks like nobody can be bothered.
:mad:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

For what it's worth

I am damn certain you must have a case, and I hope you make progress.  I'm not a lawyer, but surely in the UK all goods have to be "fit for the purpose" and a vehicle that requires a brake service (wash and dry) every ride, to avoid throwing you, clearly isn't.  It'd be disgusting enough even if the manual did prescribe such unreasonable procedures, as some users would be bound to fail to comply and therefore placed at risk, but it didn't and to do so would be wholly unreasonable for a bike sold as a road transport.  For VOSA to accept that it's some sort of race bike is ridiculous.

I lay the fault firmly at Brembo's door for making some really flaky brakes (and not just for bikes either), and at KTM's for playing the brand game, but isn't the retailer the one you can sue, not the manufacturer?  Don't worry about him, as he could seek recompense from KTM.  I can't imagine how angry and let down you must feel.

Now I worry whether sports bikes are really built to be ridden - could my Tokico calipers go the same way, will my frame welds split, etc...  VOSA, where are your teeth?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

This is ask an expert...

...so where are the experts?

Reply to this Topic
MaximumVelocity

Feb 10

This is ask an expert

It sounds to me as though you are all experts, go and give yourselves a good talking to, and clean you brakes. 

Reply to this Topic
russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

What the hell do you know about it.

Here we go, another idiot.
:mad:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

MaximumVelocity

...with minimum thought - like, thanks, really useful post, don't bother reading anything, just let that brain fart go...

Reply to this Topic
russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

KTM Stink

Thanks MCN for again highlighting this problem in todays edition.

I doubt whether any legal proceedings will take place but I will keep making people aware of this issue until KTM get sick of hearing about it !

Even if it means 1 rider is saved from crashing tis worth it.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Have you spoken to VOSA?

I can't help thining that they are taking evidence from one side only. Tell KTM you are going to the Sun/Mirror etc, and get a good solicitor. Race bike don'r get road registered, and have not for road use on the invoice.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Sue the dealer...

Someone's got to do it, if VOSA have no balls.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle