Ask an Expert Superduke Seizing Brakes Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Superduke Seizing Brakes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

Superduke Seizing Brakes

As you may or may not be aware, there has been an ongoing saga between myself and KTM following my Superdukes front brake seizing and throwing me off the bike last year.
KTM originally ignored us (there are more than 5 of these incidents) but eventually we got VOSA involved. The short answer is that KTM, Brembo and VOSA came up with a nice statement denying all responsibility for the following reason.
They state the the Superduke (not the SDR) is classed at a 'Race Bike' and as such, before and after every ride during the winter, the bike, and brakes should be washed and dried before use.
When I (and others) bought these bikes, nothing of this was mentioned by the Dealers. They were all sold as Road Bikes (hence indicators fitted, etc) and as such should be capable of being ridden during any time of the year without having to wash and dry before use (and after).
I would be interested to know your thoughts on this because I feel we were sold bikes that were not fit for purpose.
If I was told it needed this sort of maintenance before I bought I, simple answer is, I wouldn't.
I was lucky not to be killed during my crash as I ended up on the other side of the road on my bum, I am appalled KTM, Brembo and VOSA seem to think they can ignore this by telling us its all our own fault because we didn't maintain the bike correctly. I have ridden for over 40 years without an accident so I think I am perfectly capable of maintaining the many bikes I have had over the years and ridden throughout the year without being blamed for something that was not my fault.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 January 2010 10:24)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

Still happening

Its still happening !

Look at this months BIKE mag Pg 130.

:mad:

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

brakes

I think you probably have a case to open against VOSA. They are supposed to be an independant Government body. Yet they let Brembo and KTM conduct the test and just acted in a supervisory capacity. This would be like getting nicked for drink driving the being allowed to conduct your own breath test, only an idiot would fail.

I really hope that at some stage you get a refund from KTM or replacement calipers from Brembo. It must be very off putting riding a bike not trusting the brakes.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to this Topic
stevei0220

Feb 10

stevei0220 says:

A case indeed

I haven't seen the article in the latest MCN but from what I have read it sounds as if this is not just a one off incident. In all the years I have been involved with bikes I have never come across anything like what KTM are saying. If you followed what they are saying then each time you rode to work you would have to wash and dry it and then again when you got home and so on. This is just not practical and a totally unrealistic demand on the owner/rider. How can a road legal machine be classed as a race bike? It's beyond me! If MCN are writing about this problem then you hopefully have their support and I would suggest that you make a formal approach to them for some support in getting other SuperDuke owners who have suffered the sam things together. I would then contact your local Trading Standards office and also RoSPA and explain the situation to them. Another line is to perhaps contact Watchdog who, I am sure, get on the case also. These things take time, put things in writing and when sending correspondence to the likes of KTM use recorded delivery to avoid them saying that they never received anything from you. Approach VOSA again, in writing, and ask for a copy of their report, they are a Government Agency and you can ask for it under the rules of Freedom of Information. Record everthing, time, dates, persons spoken too etc Get a portfolio together of all the information and work together to get your answers from KTM. Keep us informed!

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

distance

How floored is VOSA's argument in agreeing with KTM. I could make 1 single journey to work of say 10 miles and have to wash the brakes as they may not work on the return journey. BUT if I choose to ride from Lands End to John o Groats they'll work all the way because the bike/brakes are that intelligent they know both are a single journey. What bollocks.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
russ_fae_fyvie

Aug 02

Facebook Campaign

To try and bring together everyone who is concerned or who have already had problems, I have set up a new Facebook Group which you are invited to add to your friends list and make comments on what you think should be done.

The name of the Group is

KTM Superduke Front Brake Seizures

Feel free to add !!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool