Skip to content

Ask an Expert Honda CBF 500 ABS- Starting Problems Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda CBF 500 ABS- Starting Problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

indieracer1

Jan 10

indieracer1 says:

Honda CBF 500 ABS- Starting Problems

I have a Honda CBF 500 ABS. I have had it since new, having purcahased it in April 2006.It has done about 18,000 miles. In the last 6 months I have spent around £1,000.00 on servicing and repairs, including new brakes, battery(twice) rectifier, etc.

One week after spending £600.00 on it, it broke down again.Recovery mechanic thinks it is the starter motor. Can't afford any more labour charges (£50.00 hr at local/all dealers), or new starter motor, (quoted @ £500.00).

I've been told it might be the carbon brushes that need to be replaced (cost about £35.00).

I am thinking of fixing the problem myself, to save money. However am a complete novice, with no mechanical knowledge or manual to guide me. I would welcome any advice as to how I can carry out the work, or may have to sell bike, which I am loathed to do . Many thanks and safe riding.:mad:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 January 2010 20:30)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
indieracer1

Jan 10

indieracer1 says:

Honda CBF 500

Hi Paulderekjohnson,

Many thanks for uploading the documents.

Reply to this Topic
indieracer1

Jan 10

indieracer1 says:

Honda CBF 500

Hi Jaffa 90,

Very grateful for the advice. Will give it a go.

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

It seems to have all the symptoms of a flat battery. The fact that the dash lights come on means nowt really - they don't draw any current.
If it clicks when you press the starter button, its 99% that the battery is flat, ergo summat wrong with battery (unlikely if you have renewed it) or battery not charging.
Only very rarely do starter motors go wrong.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Need to..

..get a volt meter on the battery terminals (to start with).  At rest, fully charged, expect around12.8V.  If it dips a lot when you press the starter button, then starter could be jammed (unlikely) or battery could be tired low on charge or knackered.  If the voltage doesn't dip much, say staying above 10-12V, but all you get is that click, then the relay / solenoid contacts aren't closing, the starter is blown, or the earth or battery feed to the starter is bad.  Beg or borrow a voltmeter and post the results.  Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
direct

Dec 11

direct says:

Does not start

Try to turn on 1 gear and push a bike forwar and back a bit.

Next press button and engine will start.

I think the problem with switch of neutral gear, gear of starter motor, relay of starter or starter motor (but unlikely the last).

This method helps me many times.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Sorry

Direct mate,but your just about 2 YEARS to late:lol:

welcome to the site though:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance