Skip to content

Discuss This Theft victim arrested for demanding bike back General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Theft victim arrested for demanding bike back

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Theft victim arrested for demanding bike back

A theft victim has been arrested for harassing a vehicle pound which is holding his stolen bike. Michael Wheatley believes it should cost him nothing to get his stolen Honda Fireblade back after it was recovered by police within a mile of his home in Pitsea, Essex. But it was taken to a pound over 10 miles away and Wheatley faced a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (29 January 2010 16:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
motosnape

Jan 10

motosnape says:

Email Address II

I'm following davehartuk on this one.
Come on MCN, post the email details for the Vehicle Pound company. I'll personally send an email, demanding the return of the bike, and so should everybody-else who feels strongly about this story.

I know it's a difficult situation, but accepting a caution is an admission of guilt. Michael shouldn't have done this. I hope that next time the police try a stunt like this, that the defendant takes it to court (undoubtably it won't be long before such a situation occurs.

I say again, MCN give me and everybody-else the means to protest this man's case.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I think

you have to remember that before this they'd just tell you where your bike was and you'd go and get it. Whether it would still be there at that time is another matter entirely.

It can take a good 12 hours for it to get from officer finding bike to someone contacting owner and saying "we've found it".

I'm not sure that the recovery charge isn't excessive but, for bikes at least, it's safer than leaving it by the side of the road / in a field for god knows how long. Personally I was quite happy to pay the recovery charge and get the bike back when mine was nicked as I didn't expect to ever see it again. If they'd left it in the field where they found it, then it would certainly have been gone again by the time I'd got to it, even if they had called me at the earliest opportunity.

Reply to this Topic
Ch00

Jan 10

Ch00 says:

You get a choice and you choose at the time of reporting the bike stolen.

Police find the bike and get it recovered, you pay the fee or police find the bike and tell you to pick it up.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Storage fees

It's much the same here in the states. Private storage lots take pocession and by the time you are aware of just where your vehicle was taken and learn they close at 5 pm and you need to take time off from work the bill has gotten even higher. I can understand that these impound lots meet people at their very best but the few times I've had to get a vehicle out they are no winners either. My son had some words with a lot over their practices and needed me later to help him retrieve the car. I swear every guy on the lot surrounded me as though they expected a fight. What a bunch of losers. Then the manager refused to allow my son on their property so I was left alone to push a non-running car out of their gravel lot and off their property before hitching it up to tow. They even hassled my wife and wanted her off the property and she hadn't even said anything to anyone. It left me feeling abused but the system has the cards so stacked against the owners. Cost me over $500 for a two day impound!

Reply to this Topic
nedd

Feb 09

nedd says:

Further consequences

The more I think about the caution subject the more problems I can foresee but (unless maybe MCN reads this and acts first) I don`t want to alarm anybody unduly so what I am going to do is see if MCN will run a full legally advised explanation of the more background and potential and actual future consequences of accepting a caution. 

All I will say is I guess there could be much more effect on an individual (thinking that it is a cheaper and safer option than to go to court) accepting a caution ie admitting guilt for something "trivial" thinking it will not be considered as a criminal offence.  Not sure if it is counted as one but it certainly doesn`t go away -  that admission of guilt is there for a long time easily made and easily forgotten but not by some.  If a court case goes against you you may make a verbal argument that you were not guilty but the case went against you but once accepting guilt fat chance !   Can they be cancelled after a while or are they indeed on a person`s record forever as I think ?  That is one of many useful questions with an important answer. 

Another reason don`t want to get too much into it is it is somewhat off topic.  Last word is a caution even for a driving offence may stop a person getting a job obviously involving driving but some other jobs as well so you see where I am going with admitting offences, especially non-motoring ones.  Another question would be can you get legal aid for things to do with biking / motoring / civil cases / minor crime if you do decide not to accept the caution?  Or indeed to contest the immoral fee maybe at least get it reduced ?  Nedd    

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

It says it all... that when you read this story you're not in the least bit surprised this has happened.

"Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" - circa T.Blair 1997. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so unjust on poor Mr Wheatley.

Reply to this Topic
chc-pr

Aug 02

chc-pr says:

Anyone still believe

that this country is free?

Labour has made GB a police state.  Everywhere you look from the 1984 "Ministry of Justice" - which alone should put a sudder down anyone's back - to the speed enforcement cameras to the Welsh police to .... it probably ends with he grotesque DNA database.  That poor sod is now on there for that for years if the revised legislation goes through otherwise for ever!

The bastards wonder why they are losing public support.  The MPs are just as bad.

I fear for whrn and how this country will ever again be a free one.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Sorry,

..but little sympathy. What he SHOULD have done is issue a small claims court summons for the return of the property as soon as the emails were ignored, then written to the Police Complaints Authority warning them of the action as the Police might be named as co-defendants, under master and servant rules. Not forgetting the PR problem generated. Sending email after email is harassment, nothing else, so the caution is both acceptable and justified. However, if he succeeds in having the bike returned without charge, then it would be entirely reasonable to return to the PCA and demand the record be expunged and the DNA removed. Civil Liberties organisations can help with that, if necessary. One does not get by simply being aggrieved, one must have the faculties, wit and determination to use their own bureaucracy against them, or else you may as well just strap a bomb to your chest and make a meaningless, futile gesture.

Reply to this Topic
chc-pr

Aug 02

chc-pr says:

Your right snave, but ...

lets not decieved ourselves that we live in anything other than a police state.

If everyone started doing that they would soon find a way of making it illegal too.  Somehow, we have to make the turds (and I inclued both MPs and the Police in that collective noun) actually understand that they are damaging not just socielty but democracy itself.

Reply to this Topic
chc-pr

Aug 02

chc-pr says:

sorry about the typos ..

I meant that if everyone did what snave suggested then ....

and decieved should obviously be present tense and spelt deceive.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices