You are in... Forums > General > General > Number Plate Illumination

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cushk3

Mar 09

cushk3 says:

Number Plate Illumination

Can anyone give us some really quick advice?? Getting my SV1000S ready for MOT and it looks like the tail has been changed at some point - there is no white light illumination and I'm wondering whether that will be an MOT fail or if it dorsn't need one??

Damn garages knocking off early on a Saturday!

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 January 2010 13:14)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pekos

Jun 07

pekos says:

No plate light

Fraid it is a requirement mate for MOT. I had to remove complete tail tidy and fit original no plate & holder to mine for last MOT...........soon changed it back again though.

Hope it goes well!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

light

As pekos says,also you could fit a white light (l.e.d) if they make them,but make sure you can only see the red light and reflecter only from a distance back.:smile

Reply to this Topic
gsxxxrrr

Jul 07

gsxxxrrr says:

No plate light

I have a tail tidy on my SV1000 and just got myself a couple of  LED  lights and whacked them through the top of the number plate, passed the MOT. total cost approx £15 

Reply to this Topic
cushk3

Mar 09

cushk3 says:

Hope I haven't just spoken to a jobsworth!

Intersestingly, I got off the phone with an M.O.T tester and he said that if a white light was fitted then it had to work - otherwise just the illumination from the tail lights (permanently on) plus a red reflector somewhere on the back would suffice...

Let's hope he's right and you lot are wrong 'cause I gave up on the whole thing :winkie:

Thanks for the comments!

Reply to this Topic
KGEE

Jan 04

KGEE says:

Number plate lamp

Is NOT part of the MOT test for bikes cush - here's the MOT Manual.....:winkie:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m1s01000001.htm

Reply to this Topic
nev & leanne

Jun 07

nev & leanne says:

Tis true

Mine passed without a Number Plate Light.

However it is illegal not to have one so you may get through the test but may get pulled and put inside for 20 years as it is such an awful crime :mad:

Reply to this Topic
pekos

Jun 07

pekos says:

light

Sorry mate, I was told that it was a requirement and if its illegal not to have one then surely this would come within the mot.

Hope you didnt need one then, keep us posted on whether it passed.

My no plate was located under the rear undertray so no light from my taillight shines on it, maybe thats why ! 

Reply to this Topic
sidspeakin

Mar 09

sidspeakin says:

led light

motrax do some nice after market lights i had 2 to replace no plate screws looked real tidy

Reply to this Topic
fastasfox

Jan 08

fastasfox says:

mot

ya do need a clear lamp lighting up the rear number plate also you need a red reflector too.folks do get away with it but if your tester is like the one i use he is a right by the rules bloke a right tunt.

Reply to this Topic
KGEE

Jan 04

KGEE says:

MOT manuals

MikeRotherham

The car & bike MOT manuals differ slightly regards lights - a car needs number plate lamps for the test but a bike doesn't - although it should have one fitted under Construction & Use regulations - the link you posted is from the car MOT manual.

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle