You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > how do i drift

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

how do i drift

i've got a 125 at the moment and so i'd like to learn to drift on it before i get a bigger bike.

i can drift (SLIGHTLY) on some corners by just opening the throttle more than i should and shifting weight slightly, are there are techniques i can use to easily initiate a drift? and any tips in general?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (03 February 2010 09:57)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Jonsedici

Feb 10

Jonsedici says:

Not the answer you're looking for

As mentioned before, quit whilst you're ahead. Drifting can be a dangerous game, especially as you are out of the area of control, regardless of where you are

You suggest that you do so on public road, in which case, you are more than liable to prosecution. You are endangering yourself, and potentially other roads users/members of the public.

We all like to show off a little bit. My penny's worth, make sure it's another way. Show you're a responsible rider and you'll get a sh*t load more respect than if you muck about.

Sorry pal, I'm all for a bit of fun, but mention irresponsibility on the road, and you will soon find I have no sympathy for someone who messes around.

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

responsibility

first of all guys lets all stop having a bit of a bitch on the net. 

Jonsedici i dont need advice and lectures about responsibility from a student that almost defiantly has less riding experience that i do. i dont care if you have sympathy for irresponsible riders. you probably know less that i do and i'm here because i know bugger all.

well mike sorry for mistaking neutral for meaning neutral.

who did i kill in the first place mike? everyone proof reading is a good idea.

now i'm a learner (yeah i know what you're thinking and no) and how do you expect me to be able to control something if i never know what its like and how to react? i'd rather lowside at 30 mph in full gear than crash at 50mph in half gear commuting to work because i didnt know how to recover from rear wheel sliding.

finally this isnt showing off, nobody is watching me, theres no camera and i'm not bragging about it. this is about equal to going out to ride some twisties, its slightly dangerous but only if you're reckless and irresponsible. maybe you thought i was the idiot in the vid- i'm not. 

p.s i'd like to see anyone prosecute a learner for slightly losing control of their vehicle  

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

before i close this thread;

i've noticed that nobody has posted anything about drifting technique, hinting that nobody knows how to drift properly and thats why you're all being so needlessly hostile (and not reading anything properly)

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Living On The Edge

It was Keith Code who said that if you want to play at racing, you've got to be prepared to crash. 'Drifting' on a public road, for mere mortals, comes under 'loss of control.' If you are seeking to cross the limit of grip, sooner or later you will crash and with all that hard roadside furniture and maybe an oncoming vehicle, it will hurt like hell. Maybe you won't get up again. The track would be the place to push the limits, under expert supervision. No one can teach you the limits of a vehicle on a forum like this one. Hope you survive the next 5 years, Live long and prosper.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Drifting again.

First off. Sorry for being annonymouse. This happens when Iuse Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer.

Whe I said "learn to ride", I meant "Learn to ride PROPERLY".

Your profile states

Experience with bikes:

A year or less.

This obviouy means you know EVERYTHING there is to do with riding bikes. Trust me, YOU DON'T. I've been riding for over 20 years, and I DON'T KNOW IT ALL.

okay first of all anonymous i think you only read the title, the description says that i can drift (SLIGHTLY) on Some corners, what the f**k are you thinking suggesting anyone try out an alien technique on a road bike on a shitty surface....are you trying to get people hurt?!?   

You want to learn to drift more?? Then the BEST place to try is on a trail bike, OFF ROAD. You don't have that, so the next best thing is to try on a gravel car park..

I learn't to slide my GSXR400 on a gravel driveway. I can now slide my ZZR600 and R1200GS on my private road.

Best technique?? Lean the bike over, whack the throttle open. Steer into it. Simple as that.

You WILL crash. You WILL get hurt. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Now FUCK OFF and practice. Stop whining.

Reply to this Topic
Jonsedici

Feb 10

Jonsedici says:

Enemy

You may not not want or need advice from me, but I can tell you that you'll bloody well get it from other people. So get used to it.

Regardless of whether I have less experience than you, your stupidity and seeming desire for reckless action are the reasons why learners are looked down upon. The minority spoil it for the majority.

" p.s i'd like to see anyone prosecute a learner for slightly losing control of their vehicle  "

A learner can, and will be prosecuted, in just about the same manner as any other motorist. We do not get off lightly just because we are new to the game.

Why do we need to drift? What objective does it achieve?

Reply to this Topic
WhiteWolf

Jan 10

WhiteWolf says:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

Have you considered doing Grass Track?

Lots of fun, speed and sliding around the corners.

No this is serious suggestion - I'm not taking the piss.

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices