You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > how do i drift

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

how do i drift

i've got a 125 at the moment and so i'd like to learn to drift on it before i get a bigger bike.

i can drift (SLIGHTLY) on some corners by just opening the throttle more than i should and shifting weight slightly, are there are techniques i can use to easily initiate a drift? and any tips in general?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (03 February 2010 09:57)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

50's n 125's

we all had to learn sumwhere, i never had a 50, had a rg125, then ty250 then rg500..i learned to drift..off road..dont relaly apply it to road...fancy controlling my zzr1100 with rear end loose,,,no thanks..lol

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

the way to go

is to stop on the 125. Buy yourself an old and cheap Gixxer 1000. Adopt the same technique as you have been doing. Get mid corner, slap the throttle open and shift your weight. You will do a lot of firsts at the same time. You will drift like a pro for a few feet, then you'll learn to fly from the highside, be really good at gymnastics for a few more feet and finally you'll know the names of most of the bones in your body as someone will write them down on the sheet at the end of your borrowed bed.

It's bollocks like this that are responsible for Ministers wanting to impose more Euro crap on us like 100bhp limits. Wanting us all off bikes, period. Do the rest of us a favour, sell your road bike to a grown up, get a mud plugger and have fun away from the real world.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

drifting

so is this just a "i own a big bike and cant do any pointless tricks and put the shiny bit down and the black rubbery bit up so i'll just tell anyone that wants to try that they're an idiot" thread or does anyone have any tips?

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I done it going into a roundabout a few months ago........ Not intentionally, but it showed me how to do it. Although, apart from 10/10 for style, I cant see any benefit.......

Method - Think your in third doing 80mph, then bang it into second and let the clutch out..............

Realise you were actually in 2nd doing 80mph and banged it down to first, grab clutch sharpish, bit of back brake, and feather the clutch a bit..........

Voila....... Rossi'esq drift, sideways accross the road........ And brown pants!! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Read

the whole thread and you'll get the whole message, views both sides and some tips.

My bike is designed to drift and the tyres are designed to drift predictably. I have done it (badly and generally unintentionally), I just don't see the point of risking binning my bike when there are so many other things I can work on improving that carry a lot less risk of throwing 4 grand worth of motorcycle down the road and smashing bits of me that I'm rather attached to.

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

i've read the whole thing iand basically its people who dont know how to do it and are saying its a bad idea....if they could do it and said it was a bad idea i'd listen.

he says he wants to learn to drift on a cheap 125 before getting a bigger bike...maybe he's willing to chuck it down the road a bit.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

It's one of those things that takes

a bit of practicing to get right, trail, supermoto etc. bikes are good to learn on as the longer suspension travel, wider bars and grunty power delivery gives you more time to figure out what's happening and control it, it is after all a step away from a crash! Starting on hard pack dirt/gravel grit etc, makes it easier, and then go on the tarmac. One method is to be approaching corner at a reasonable sort of speed, brake progressively harder, weight will transfer off back wheel, so some back brake will soon get tyre starting to lock, or knocking down more than one gear and feeding clutch out fairly sharp, slipper clutch helps too, once back end is starting to come around, should be thinking about feeding power back in gradually to drive bike around the corner, blending everything together is the way to go, no good sliding back end out, then gathering it back up before you're turning corner, need to be balancing force on bars and pegs too. If you have inside foot or knee on deck, will give something to push bike up if it starts going too far. Plenty vids on you tube on how to!

Needless to say, best be cautious about doing on public road, but you shouldn't be getting knee down on road either! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'm sure

someone mentioned about going to a gravel ridden car park and practising and saying how. I think the point here was that he was 17 or 18 with less than a years riding under his belt. If he'd had 20 or so and obviously knew how to handle the bike properly he'd probably have got a different response.

People didn't want him to die.:smile

EDIT: Do see your point about saying it's a bad idea without knowing how to do it, but I'd certainly argue that you can know jumping a load of cars off a ramp is a bad idea without necessarily knowing how to do it and the ins and outs of working out the trajectory and speed required. Some things, whilst fun, aren't a good idea to be playing with when inexperienced - backing my bike into corners is something I might try when I'm absolutely happy with being able to totally control the bike. I've ridden in proper snow with road tyres (contiforce SMs, so good I e-mailed Conti with thanks for allowing me to ride all through the crappy winter) and at full pelt to an emergency when it's been well below freezing through Christmas when the gritters aren't exactly busy and never had a really dodgy moment. I can control a bike in the worst conditions where most people wouldn't even consider taking a car out but I'm not going to try drifting unless it's on a track because there are too many variables. It's a balance between fun and the risk associated with it - we were pointing out to someone who didn't have the experience to understand the risk how bad an idea it was.

God, that was more a drunken ramble than an edit.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Hmm, not sure who you're addressing

here Phil, me I think? Todays extreme behaviour is tomorrow's normality, everybody has a different idea of what's safe and acceptable, once upon a time nobody was pulling wheelies, stoppies, sticking knee out or getting knee down, things change, young bodies bounce better and repair quicker than old ones, newer riders try things older ones wouldn't contemplate. Chances are he's going to try it if he's that interested, best to try in a safe environment, like anything else, common sense comes into it, practicing anything on busy roundabouts and major roads is never going to be a good idea, whatever it is. I've experience in road and off road, and things can transfer from one to the other.

All I say is be aware of the risks, it can hurt badly or worse, it can wreck your bike whatever it is you are trying to do, the individual must decide on their own level of risk.

Anybody else got any thoughts on it?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Nah,

was addressing gizmorun, but I do see your point. As I said - I'm not sure this guy got the risks and always seemed to deny them with a certain "I can't be killed" young arrogance hence why he got the responses he did.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices