Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mburns88823

Nov 09

mburns88823 says:

Private land riding

Hi,

I recently bought a bandit 600 but am not taking my test for another 2 weeks, i'm desperate to ride it so can anyone tell me if a friend insures it and rides it to private land i.e. a car park am i legally allowed to ride it?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (06 February 2010 10:46)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

private

Private land is privately owned where no public are allowed,this car park cannot be a car park.All you need is permission of the land owner.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

check out

some shopping center car parks, the ones with like 8-10 big shops there. find out if its private and go there if it is.

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Basically no.

Don't listen to Enemy, he knows jack shit.

You can't just take it down the local Tesco and rag around the car park I'm afraid. You need 'proper' private land like an airfield or locked compound where the public are not allowed to go without permission. You then need to have said permission to be there.

If you go down the car park route then when the police turn up they can serve you with an ASBO involving a motor vehicle and even confiscate the vehicle.

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

ian

stop trolling. if the land is private then the police cannot charge or fine you for operating the vehicle, they can however give you an asbo for just about anything, like i fell like giving the troll a concussion.

aaaand no they cannot take your bike without charging and arresting you and since you haven't broken the law they cant. simples.

this newfag (posts not even  in triple figures) dosent understand that much i'm afraid, had to explain how a slipper clutch worked for him..sigh

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

God you're an idiot

If the land is fully private they cannot fine or charge you with anything. A supermarket car park is not fully private! It is a public right of way, therefore you are still riding illegally.

The police can seize any vehicle that is being used in an anti-social manner.

Here..

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b18_1256131815

Notice the line "The police have the right to seize and destroy bikes, which are ridden illegally or used to harass and distress others.".

Illegally... as in, without a licence.

Reply to this Topic
mrh3369

Jun 06

mrh3369 says:

Listen to Ian

Ian is correct and Enemy is a moron. If in doubt just read the threads the muppet has started. He has taken ignorance to new heights.

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Ian is right

Years back when I was learning to drive you were allowed to go to the Tesco car park if the store was closed, and no insurance was required. Due to a change in the legislation & definition of public place in the early 90's, this practice is no longer allowed insurance & licence must be held.

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

mrh

taking the internet seriously  you lose 1 man  point

Reply to this Topic
stevei0220

Feb 10

stevei0220 says:

The thing is....

that people come on here to get some form of decent answer to their questions and concerns and many site members want to give this help. We are all entitled to an opinion but sometimes an opinion is not always factually correct!

Definitions of what is Private, Public Place, a road etc is in many cases found in statute but like many things those can be open to interpretation. Sometimes even trying to find the owner of a piece of land is a nightmare in its own right.

Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 gives officers powers to seize vehicles that are being used in a way that is like to cause harassment, alarm or distress but in order to do so a substansive offence must also be committed ie careless and inconsiderate driving/riding or prohibition of off-road driving/riding. It is the norm that Police will give a warning on the first occassion and this, interestingly, is recorded against the vehicle not the person! This is done so that should the same vehicle be found being used anti socially again it is then liable for seizure; the theory being that some vehicles (like unregistered offroad bikes for example) are often used by several different people and so it is more practical to record the vehicle rather than the people! For matters that occur on the road, there are other powers of seizure available for such things as no insurance or driving licence, all in addition to powers under Common Law and PACE.

I hope this explains things a little more clearly :-)

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

public v private

i generally use the rule ; "if its maintained by a council then its public" so if you think its public but see lots of repairs then its probably not.

since legally there are 3 ways to interpret each law we could both be right.

usually comes down to individual disgression 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices