Skip to content

General Greatest Motorcycles in History... (so far) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Greatest Motorcycles in History... (so far)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DrVibrafly

Feb 10

DrVibrafly says:

Greatest Motorcycles in History... (so far)

Opinions, they say, are like bum holes; barring a very unusual genetic condition everyone’s got one.  So with that in mind what would you nominate as the top ten greatest motorcycles in history.  Greatness doesn’t mean the fastest; most reliable or most versatile, it’s a measure of how the machine makes you feel.  It’s about the engineering, the styling and what the machine did to advance the course of motorcycling.  One offs and customised or modified bikes are out, production models only.  So I’ll start by listing my top 10, then I’ll encourage you to comment on mine and list your own.  Maybe we’ll come to some kind of consensus in the end?

10- Kawasaki GPz 750 Turbo:  A sports bike with a turbo!  Ok performance is a bit sluggish by today’s standards but how cool does it sound when the turbo kicks in?  Retro chic styling, come on Kawasaki let’s see a modern equivalent.

9- Suzuki GSX Katana:  Like Marmite when it was first released, but since then it’s become a classic.  Look closely and you can see how it’s influence modern Hypermotards, naked sports bikes and the like.

8- Kawasaki GT550:  Ok it’s dog ugly, slow and are usually abused by dispatch riders, but that’s what makes it cool.  My dad had one of these when he was a courier and did countless miles between services, had many scrapes with buses and taxis and yet it still kept on going.  It’s got a special place in my heart.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 February 2010 19:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DrVibrafly

Feb 10

DrVibrafly says:

cont...

7- Suzuki GSXR 750:  The ’98 model with that curved cafe racer rear looks very distinctive.  Probably the best all round sports bike of its time and still a force to be reckoned with.

6- Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade:   The hooligan machine I dreamt about owning when I was a young teenager.  Completely nuts and the foundation for many ‘street fighter’ builds in the late 90’s.  The CBR 1000RR that replaced it may have been technically better but the 900 was the original crazy pony.

5- Yamaha VMax:  The Mad Max of the motorcycle world.  Powerful beast that turns heads.  What a machine.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
DrVibrafly

Feb 10

DrVibrafly says:

cont...

4- Kawasaki ZZR1100:  Once the world’s fastest production bike and very understated.  When I started buying Superbike in my teens this was the bike I lusted over the most.

3- Harley Davidson Electra Glide:  I had to include a Harley and while there are numerous engines such as Panheads and Knuckleheads that I would rather use as the base for a custom job, the Electra Glide is the only HD which is best left untouched.  Used by the US Police for decades, they are a symbol of Americana.

2- Vincent Black Shadow:  The fastest production bike for nearly two decades!  My Granddad had one in the late 50’s when all his mates were on Ariel Square Fours and BSA Bantams.  If I had the cash I’d have one tomorrow.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
DrVibrafly

Feb 10

DrVibrafly says:

and number 1!... SHOCK!

1- Triumph Bonneville:  The base for the T100 and probably the most endearing motorcycle of all time.  It amazes me how many modern examples, in its various guises, Triumph are still selling.  I love the simple but functional engine and the fact that modern examples retain all the original styling but benefit from modern technology.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Odd one

but I reckon the first Diversion has got to feature here.

I know history is a little unkind to it..... but in context, back in early 90's this thing refreshed what was available to those who needed a little style to tempt them into motorcycling....... the XR3 of the bike world?

That colour coded frame, the 'bronzed' pipes weaving their way around the frame.....

I certainly liked them and wanted one badly. I was even disappointed when the first bandit came out 'cos I knew it was better than the 'divvy' that I still hadn't managed to save up for....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Greatest motorcycles

For me it was the Z900.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

here's a few.

:smile

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

and more..

:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
fastasfox

Jan 08

fastasfox says:

boult ya kiddin

I think i fancy my sister more than the divvy and i dont fancy my sister, im not american :lol:

Reply to this Topic
fastasfox

Jan 08

fastasfox says:

old(ish)git

Im loving that kwaker zed.

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Number One

Has to be the BMW R100R.:tongue: