Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcycle awareness message on signs across California General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcycle awareness message on signs across California

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Sharpe  says:

Motorcycle awareness message on signs across California

The California Highway Patrol has started a campaign to make motorists more aware of bikes. The message, ‘Share the road, look twice for motorcyclists’, is now being shown on over 700 signs across the state.      Robert Gladden, director of the US’s Motorcycle Safety Foundation said: “The Motorcycle Safety Foundation, along with many thousands of motorcyclists, applaud the California Highway Patrol,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 February 2010 13:19)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Motorcycle awareness

Stupid idea. California Police ought to pull over and lecture riders and dish out shitty hi-vis vests instead

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

hahahaha, aye they should pull their fingers out and do it properly!! average speed cameras, helicopters and unmarked fireblades!! whats up with these guys are they soft or what!!! lololololololo

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Be afraid, still. Very afraid ...

To be a motorcyclist these days - particularly one who has been a " lifelong " motorcyclist is rather the same as being a survival expert, gymnast, psychologist/psychiatrist, mind-reader, para-medic and stunt rider all rolled into one. I wonder if it is really any better or any worse for us in the USA? It is bloody GREAT to see authorities there actually acknowledging that car drivers not " seeing " motorcyclists is a problem and at least attempting to do something about it and making money and resources available for this purpose. We have all experienced that adrenalin-charged moment where you are dragging the errant driver out of his window by the oesophagus and listening to his gurgling explanation that he didn't see you. Usually, just before you sink to the tarmac, overwhelmed by the pain from your broken leg and also notice your precious metal is on fire - you manage to hiss between clenched teeth, " But you didn't even fucking look ! " ... Lots of us don't even have that opportunity for comment. What concerns me about this initiative is a few relevant facts - and they could well be the same scary percentages World-wide as they are in the USA: 95% of all gadgets returned to the point of sale or manufacturer in the USA are perfectly functional.This means the purchaser either could not or would not " read " the operating manual !!! According to the US Endowment For The Arts - 25% of all American adults did NOT read a book of any kind in the last 12 months. I can't recall where I saw this but I remember seeing that some 40% of ALL Americans ( all ages above small children ) have NEVER read a book of any kind either. So, thanks CHP, we really appreciate it - but to expect that shit-for-brains drivers and/or the enormous % of non-readers out there are going to even begin to comprehend or even notice these alerts is all a bit of a worry. They say disappointment is the gap between expectation and reality. Personally, I would be aiming not to be disappointed here. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Of course

While the drivers are reading these messages..Same here with the proliferation of signs.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/ThorH/MC/Ulykke/Mars2007001.jpg

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Great pic, Norris ...

Thanks, norris - a bit scary, eh? A good buddy of mine, Dennis - was the only vehicle stopped on a Red lght going South at a major Gold Coast intersection here in Oz quite a few years back. He HAD a pristine, low mileage 2001 pre-V Tec VFR 800. As he waited for a Green and the off - a woman in a car arrived @ 80 kph ( 50 mph ) and, witnesses said,  never looked like slowing or stopping. Naturally, she biffed Dennis and Honda straight up the arse. He performed a huge, arcing, backward somersault some 3m off the tarseal and came back down to Earth largely in a half-crouch and landed on all fours without any serious damage/injury. I asked him if 10 people were seated at the side of the road holding up large white boards with their scores out of 10 on it. Surely a 9.9 from all for artistic interpretation? The poor Viffer, as if it wasn't damaged beyond repair already, got shunted across no-man's land where its remnants got whacked hard again sideways by a West-bound tradesman's truck. Undeterred, Dennis went out and bought a lovely pre-loved V Max and recently also got the latest one. I always scanned my mirrors exposed in a similar situation but since then, I also place myself front and alongside other vehicles or get at least one other one behind me. A bit cheeky, I know but, Shit - it's a War zone out there...

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

It's all a bit scary

Sorry to hear your mate got punted off his bike Aquarius. Just thought I'd share a similar story, I'm at a roundabout, waiting for a gap, then as one appears I start to pull away, as does the BMW behind me, straight into the back of my bike. It turned out that he was only looking to his right for a gap in the traffic, and not at what was in front of him. I accept some of the blame as I should have checked my mirrors before I pulled away, but my main point is that bike or car, he still would have gone into the back of me. It's just that what would have been a dented bumper in a car, turned out to be a written off Bandit 600 :(

It's not just bikers people need to look out for, it's all road users!

Reply to this Topic
ayrshirenutter

Jan 09

you've missed the point MCN

the reason you have these in california is it's the only state in USA where you can ride ala europe,you're allowed to 'white line' in cali,what us brits call filtering.these signs are up to warn people from other states  who normaly travel to cali.

cali only passed the white line law about 2 year ago,anyone who travels to cali from the other 49 states will not be looking for bikes as they cannot white line in those other 49 states.

sad but true

Reply to this Topic
Robertbgearhead

Jan 10

Cagers hate us in San Diego

You wouldn't belive some of the responses from drivers in San Diego about these signs.  San Diego county has seen a 225% increase in motorcycle deaths. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/19/sign-of-trouble/   look and see what they have to say and what we have to deal with.

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

It figures ...

Thanks for the link, Robertbgearhead. The comments validates what I have suspected for years. Some people in cars hate & resent us because we can and do some things that they can't - split lanes ( filter ) and go to the head of any queue ... Some friends of mine were bleating about this years ago. I explained that if a bike queues like everyone else - this takes up as much space as a car does and as a consequence pushes cars etc backwards and further away from the change of lights etc. By filtering to the front and using our superior acceleration to get away first and promptly - motorcycles are actually helping cars minimise their wait time. Not one of them had ever considered that B4. When I pointed out also that in Europe Traffic Police actively encourage motorcyclists to do exactly that for the same reason - they were convinced and stopped whinging. Sometimes it just needs someone to get them to think about it in a different way. Of course, you are always going to get the resentful morons who NEVER rode a bike and/or experienced our acute vulnerability who simply envy our freedom and mobility and will actively attempt to intimidate you. I love these guys - it gives me the excuse to modify their facial features. Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Car drivers jealous of bikers?

Interesting link Robertbgearhead, it makes for pretty grim reading. Completely agree with aquarius here - I imagine most of us have experienced aggression at some point from other road users when we are doing nothing wrong. It's got to the point where the instructors even cover this point at the Training School I help out at during CBTs - 'What can we do that is legal, but other road users will view as aggressive riding'.

I find that it gets even worse in the summer when car drivers are baking in their cars stuck in traffic. I really do hate all this as it creates an 'us and them' situation, when really all anyone wants to do is get somewhere in one piece

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices