You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Sticking Front Brakes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

chrislabram

Feb 10

chrislabram says:

Sticking Front Brakes

I have a ZZR600 (1990) and even after changing the front brake pads, the brake still stick ON. They have been fitted with genuine pads and I did clean the cylinders and checked they were all free and went in and out. When the calipair is off the bike the pads are free and slide on the retaining pin.

Any suggetion?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (21 February 2010 11:22)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brake

Welcome chris,from what you say it sounds like the piston in the reservoir tank is partly seized.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
chrislabram

Feb 10

chrislabram says:

Brake problem

So simple if you think about it. So next weekend it a strip down of the "master cylinder".

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Chris

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

/

Before you go striping apart your  master cylinder, possibly wasting time and money, reconsider carefully. The ZZR600 calipers are vulnerable to corrosion. The dust seals are likely to fill with green corrosive gunge and this will make the pistons stick. Even if they were seen to move in and out after cleaning, did you carefully check the state of the dust seals by eyeball and in a good light? If the pistons tend to pull the seals outwards with distortion when you pump  the pistons outwards, then you need a caliper strip/rebuild and new seals, both dust and oil. You should be able to check the movement of the master cylinder piston  by a visual check. I would say that if this was faulty, it would most likely be worn seals or piston bore, which would result in spongy braking, even with no air in the system.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Such as....

......This

Reply to this Topic
Majoreyeswater

Mar 09

Dust seals

Good advice - i'd go with the dust seal too first - pull the buggers out and see if it helps.I had the same problem on my GTR with brakes binding for MOT.

Reply to this Topic
chrislabram

Feb 10

chrislabram says:

brakes

I fancy upgrading to yours? April's RIDE mag came out with yours better than the Yam FJR

Thanks for support :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
chrislabram

Feb 10

chrislabram says:

brakes

Will check all dust shields - already ordered master cylinder repair kit -  £35 inc postage. But I do live on the Isle of Wight. Ok spares cost but its good riding. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle