Skip to content

Ask an Expert Grip lock a waste of money? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Grip lock a waste of money?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

motorrobin

Aug 09

motorrobin says:

Grip lock a waste of money?

http://www.grip-lock.com/Grip-Locks/

I saw this advertised on Facebook, and thought that this is a complete wast of time and money.

If you use this item as your main and only security , i dont think it would take much imagination to bypass it ....a house brick comes to mind..... what thief really cares about a broke front brake lever???!. If your a clever thief youll have a spare  brake lever, ( maybe a throttle grip too) and some basic tools lol...

I wander  if once the lever is broken if the security device can be wacked off with the throttle grip????

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (24 February 2010 20:41)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

grip lock

I agree,undo a bleed nipple or cut the pipe and wheel it away.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Meh!

90% of security devices are a waste of time. That's a visual deterrent even if it is made of flimsy plastic! But it's no worse than the big names selling locks and chains that last less than 30 seconds up against a decent pair of bolt crops.

If I had a choice between a lock or a cover to leave my bike somewhere I would choose a cover cos if they want it they'll nick it anyway.

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

again wrong

most security devices are to deter mid to low level bike thieves, if a pro wants your bike, unless you sleep with it, its as good as his.chian and lock is always better, i'd be able to steal a bike with a cover but not (easily) with a chian and  lock and it would be impossible for me to steal one chained to an anchor.

basically i have the chain for insurance purposes and commuting .

HOWEVER  since this is new a pro may not have a fast method of disabling it and it may put them off, worth a try to keep your wheels. but for £45 i'd say no, go with a new pair of winter gloves instead, you'll like them more. =]

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

You say I'm wrong and then agree with me that most security devices are merely deterrents???

The reason I gave my opinion that I'd rather have a cover than a chain is because if they don't see your sparkly pride and joy it's less likely to be targeted in the first place. Most chains are childsplay for even a fairly rubbish thief to get through anyway.

Oh and it's "impossible" to steal one chained to an anchor? I think you'll find it's you that is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainCropper#p/u/11/VC3hFr8p2ck

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Enemy

Sep 09

Enemy says:

ian

impossible for me to steal it. lol

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Time

it's a matter of how long it'll take and how much noise it'll make.

Chains are quite nice for thieves as they make two loud pops nicely dispersed as it gets cropped and that's it.

Disc locks are a pain as you make a racket mashing them off and you knacker the front disc. They'll deter casual thieves and combined with an alarm and a big chain attached to something solid will probably make many serious thieves stealing to order look for an easier target.

I'd not leave my bike anywhere not chained. If it's not chained down then the chain is on the front wheel and balanced so anyone trying to move it will move the handlebars slightly, setting off the alarm sooner rather than later.

Yeh they can lift it into a soundproof van but if you park it at home somewhere where it'll take a while to get it to the van (mine is round the side and takes a good minute to get it anywhere near the road - a long time) then the only people you have to worry about are opportunists when you're out and about.

Bear in mind that someone I know had to legitimately steal his own bike. In the middle of town. He was there with a hack saw, drill, etc, etc with people walking past as well as cops and no one even questioned him.

Reply to this Topic
bengg

Mar 14

bengg says:

not really

I don't think it's a waste of money. every lock\ alarm system you add to any platform serves as a layer and as an Inhibiting factor for potential thieves + it deters some of them at least.

think about it as adding a watch dog to an already alarm secured house or adding an additional lock to a door.
i made a review about this product in my blog , check out out: http://www.benshardwareblog.com/transportation/motorbike-brake-lever-lock 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices