You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > clutch jumps forward

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ivahandle

Feb 10

ivahandle says:

clutch jumps forward

my vn1500 tends to jump forward and stall when going in 1st from cold after that ok but creeps forward when clutch is depressed at standstill  i hope somone can put some light on this 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 February 2010 13:00)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch

Sounds like clutch drag,can be the wrong type of oil in it,wrong cable or hydraulic adjustments.Q What position is the lever when the clutch bites,1/4  1/2  3/4   way out.? 

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

clutch

Difficut to diag accurately without seeing bike. You have a dragging clutch, which will be worse when oil cold/thick.

AsJaffa says could be a lot of reasons for this, I would guess though that you have too much slack in the cable at that lever end, or if you like to give it the gun from the off you may have warped a plate or two.

Start easy, strip and lube the cable to check for fraying, set the free play to spec and go from there.

Good luck.

Tom 

Reply to this Topic
ivahandle

Feb 10

ivahandle says:

clutch

thanks lads the clutch bites at 3/4 its hydraulic dont think fluid has been changed foryears willdo any thing else i can do

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

as you state that the fluid in the clutch system has not been changed in years I would suggest the following.

Strip clean and recondition the master cylinder.

Strip clean and recondition the slave cylinder.

Strip clean and check lever operation, replace any worn parts.

You may find that the pivot hole in the lever may have worn oval and is therefore reducing the effective operating throw of the lever.

Fill system with DOT4 fluid and bleed.

Ensure any mechanical adjustments are set to specifications in the manufacturers service manual.

P.S. I am not an expert.

Question, have the brakes been neglect in the same way? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch

I suggest you drop the oil and change the filter and replace it with silkolene 10/40 semi/synthetic bike oil not car oil.:smile

Reply to this Topic
ivahandle

Feb 10

ivahandle says:

clutch

thanks mate have changed brakes seals ect will do same to clutch and hope that will do the job

Reply to this Topic
ivahandle

Feb 10

ivahandle says:

clutch

bike still jumps and stalls from first changed oil fluid whats nest staight to clutch plates ect or master slave goes in gear  when engine off  start it in gear leaver in stalls hope u can help

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle