You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Slow Speed control

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

Slow Speed control

Hi all, I was hoping i could get a bit of info on the flexibility of the slow speed control portion of module one.

At the moment, Slow speed control for me is not going well atall, unless i do it purely using clutch control and not use the rear brake.

I am wondering, is it a requirement to pass that the rear brake be used, or is it purely you have to control by whatever means you can?.

Going in a straight line is fine at the moment (just) but as soon as i try a u-turn or slalam it all goes to pot (unless i do it just with the clutch) I'm sure that eventually i was master the the slow speed, it is after all still early days with about 3 months until i want to take the test.

any ideas?..

I have an AJS JS-125e and love riding it :biggrin:

Cheers

Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 February 2010 22:13)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Sounds good

keep at it.

The other thing is don't forget to practice the emergency stop - it's so easy to lock up the rear.

Reply to this Topic
minkyhead

Jan 05

minkyhead says:

steady throttle

good luck   ..   the key to the slow spped turns is  ..maintaining a steady throttle    ..remember   that when you turn to the right  the throttle will want to drop off  ...and to the left  ..want to come on    relax your grip more  try and use your thumb and fourfinger  to  set it dont  grip to tight  ...steer the bike rather than lean it    and  turn your head to look where u want the bike to go    ..if the throttle and  slipping clutch dont move youll find holding it on the rear brake easier  ..try not to go under walking  pace   ..easier to balence 

sit on the bike and practice  holding a steady throttle lock to lock while stationary  althouth the resistance of the tyre makes it a little harder than moving  ...a steady throttle gives a steady turn  ... 

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

Just had

an asessment at my local training centre, during which they showed me how to do the slow speed properly.  I was having the clutch engaged to much it seems which reduced control.

Within half an hour I had got it and was (for the most part) slaloming and figure of 8 'ing quite happily.

I have my DAS course booked now and have a month to brush up on my skills before training starts :)

Looking forward to it now :smile

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

slow speed control

Just use the clutch! If still stalling then just tweak up speed of carb a fraction and remember to pout back after!(air mix screw)

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

Baza

I have it sorted, I went for an asessment with a traiing school when i booked my DAS and they showed me how to do it.

I can do all the manouvers now (including the swerve at about 29mph), just need to tidy up the firgure of 8 and slalom :smile

Module one is on 26th april so have plenty of time, plus the training, if all goes well mod 2 is on the 30th

cheers!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

I thought i would post back to say i have ust PASSED module 1!

I am well chuffed considering the hours i put into practice for it  :biggrin::biggrin:

passed with 1 minor for slightly overtaking the examiner on the slow speed.

My instructor says i am now "above" test standard so module 2 shouldnt be a problem!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Good good

now do mod 2 and get a bike, damnit!:smile

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

heh..

thanks, but you dont need to encourage me, two days on a 500cc is more than enough encouragement! :lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle