Skip to content

Discuss This Free 16-page sample of new magazine 'Practical Sportsbikes' General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Free 16-page sample of new magazine 'Practical Sportsbikes'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Free 16-page sample of new magazine 'Practical Sportsbikes'

Practical Sportsbikes is a new magazine from the makers of MCN and Classic Bike that's all about fettling, fixing & riding the best bikes of the past few decades. Scroll down for your free 16-page digital sample.    View your free 16-page digital sample here According to Practical Sportsbikes editor Jim Moore: "The new mag is a hands-on guide for bikers whose...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (03 March 2010 09:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
corsarochris

Oct 09

corsarochris says:

Memories....

Looks like at least two of my favourite bikes in the first issue; the Honda CBR600 and Kawasaki KR250... plus an article on the first ever Japenes bike I owned - the 250 triple Kwacker!

Not only that a helpful article on fixing plastic - great for fixing the Morini Dart!

"From all good newsagents........" Does that include Smiths?

CC

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Here we go

My review of Practical sportsbikes.

Family tree is a good idea to give recent bikers an idea of how these bikes evolved.
Toolkit article has been done by Ride in the past but this one seems a bit more comprehensive, so ok.
Buyers guides are not bad and include parts prices, yamaha power valve overhaul page is very good.
GPz600 engine stripdown has some good tips and a realistic cost analysis, con-rods at £510 a set? pricey for an old bike!
Plastic welding "How to" looks fun, might give it a go, got a few bits to try on.

Caliper overhaul and suspension linkage maintainance "How to" very good introduction for new mechanics to sort it themselves.
Featured projects article Katana good, gives a great deal of info to those not famliar with these bikes.

The only bum bit I found was the overuse of the word ICON.
Wanker words like this do not belong in a mag devoted to bike mechanics. Deduct half a point

I'd like to see articles on suspension tuning and handling please.

Overall I give it 7.5 out of ten, which means I'll buy the next copy for sure and hope that it's content stays at this quality level or improves. 

Conclusion - a good first edition  from Jim and his team - thanks

Reply to this Topic
smilo996

Nov 08

smilo996 says:

mag

It is full off product placement and adverts which you come to expect. I find the comparison articles are too full of banal comments than facts. Most articles about the original blade I have read are much more in depth and specific. Why it was designed, how it was designed, not comments like, they even drilled holes in it to save weight....

Any mag that mentions scratching as a form of motorcycle riding has a long up hill task.

The graphics are really 80's.

However some of the technical articles were great and helpful, the one about repairing fairings for example and brake overhaul.  

Typical MCN stuff. Will no doubt sell well.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Fireblade / 0thers article

Agree with smilo on that, I skipped that article because of the overhyped wanker word ICON.

It's seems to be aimed at riders that have passed their tests a few years ago and want to get their paws mucky,

First chapter, about the exup being a big bulky relic of the eighties and the blade being like a 600, was well,  crap to say the least.

The Ducati 996 bit made me laugh, 1500 quid, what a piss take, you'd be lucky to find one for less than 3K !! fcs, even in this cold weather. If you did find one for that dosh it would have been chucked down the road with a load of expensive damage

I really hope we see some in depth useful scribbling within the next 6 issues or I'll be proof reading it in the shop before I buy instead of picking it up without opening the covers.

Reply to this Topic
keithbeef

Mar 10

keithbeef says:

Good luck with this lads - looks a good prospect although the first issue is very 2-stroke-heavy.

Let's see some of the older European bikes in there in issue two.

Beef

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

I really liked this mag, just the sorta thing i was after.I read all the others, FB, PB, SB, Ride etc etc and they too are also very good.

What i enjoyed most about it is that those of use who have a "modern classic" dont really have a mag for that era. For a 1st issue it blew me away, the guides are just what i needed as i have to do a few repairs myself pretty soon.

Cracking job guys. Cant wait to see the next issue.

In response to other comments, this is a 1st issue and it can only get better.

My 2p

CaNsA

Reply to this Topic
zx6r89al

Jun 11

zx6r89al says:

back issues

im lookin to get issue 1,2 and 7 if anyone wants to sell let me

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy